Thursday, August 11, 2011

I survived the laundry pile....

I know, a bit of a strange way to title a post, but anyone who has been on holiday will completely understand! :o)  It seems it takes as many days to unpack and return to normal as it does days that you are away...and thus I have not been updating my blog.  The good news is that I'm all caught up, holiday pictures sorted and I've got almost a month worth of posts to share with you. 
As I went through my holiday pictures I thought I'd share them a little differently to the day1, day2 type of posting and that it would be more interesting to post by theme instead. 

Today's theme is how I managed to fit in some quilting time and some quilt shop hopping while in the Scottish highlands!



As you can imagine quilts shops are far and few between at the very top of Scotland, but I found this lovely shop online and was thrilled to bits when the TomTom managed to take us to her door. 
It wasn't a long drive from Inverness where we were staying and it was on our way to some breathtaking scenery.



The owner was kind enough to let me take a few pictures to share with you....such a lovely shop with so many goodies, but with the DH in the car I had to show some restraint :o)



Onward we went down the A831 where we found a perfect lay-by off the side of the road with picnic benches for lunch.
All through our trip we would make a daily trips to Tescos for sandwiches and fruit...including the sweetest Scottish strawberries!



It was an idyllic location so we stayed for awhile, enjoying the quiet and the perfect sunny weather!  (yes, you heard right...sun in Scotland!!)
I dug out my bag of sewing which comprised of my Dear Jane blocks which I'm quilting.  A friend of mine is quilting hers with the quilt-as-you-go method and I thought it was a brilliant way to get these blocks together.  It is also a very portable project which I could easy work on in the hotel room.



Ta-da!  (and a rare picture of me!)



This was one of my favourite days!


Until next time...

15 comments:

Anne Heidi said...

It looks like a perfect day! The quiltshop looks adorable :-)

Shirley said...

Lovely photo's Jane. Sounds like a great holiday. A holiday for me is one where there is a quilt shop. Nice hat.

sewkalico said...

Sounds like you had a good time!

Leanne said...

I hate unpacking also. Great snaps and good to see you. I would have loved to visit Scotland I imagine it is beautiful so I will wait for the rest of your installments.

susan said...

Love the photo of you and your hand sewing! You look great. My laundry mountain has been tackled today but lots more to go.

Lizzie said...

It's true about the unpacking, seems to take forever..! Lovely little shop and your photo is lovely, I always seem to be on the other side of the lens too...
Lizzie
xxx

Quiet Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the posts...the pictures are beautiful! I can't imagine seeing the real thing...

willywagtail said...

"but anyone who has been on holiday will completely understand!" I'm so happy to hear you say that even though I think it only applies to women understanding. My ex could never see why I would say that! You look lovely too. Cherrie

Liz said...

Just back from our holls too and have already attended to the laundry mountain. I too found Dear Jane blocks perfect for holiday stitching. No fabrics shops in Turkey that I found but super views if you like mountains.

Kathie said...

well you look happy! Love the pictures...what a beautiful shop I love ribbons so seeing those just made me smile.
oh your block is beautiful....
Kathie

Kathie said...

oh yes I always say I need a vacation after the vacation so much work when you come ! laundry just never seems to end after a vacation I had to laugh at the title of your post, I understood!
Kathie

sewtakeahike said...

What a beautiful day and lovely photos Jane!!

Timi said...

When I first read your post I couldn't see your photo...and I was wondering: "Ta-da! (and a rare picture of me!)" ??? Where is the picture? Did I miss something?
But now I CAN see the photo!!! You look so lovely ♥!!! Thank you very much for all the beautiful photos, especially for the last one :o)!

Thimbleanna said...

Well hello there you cutie! You're killing me with these Scotland posts -- it's time to visit again. Did you make it to the Isle of Skye? There's a fun yarn shop there. ;-D

Tanya said...

Yes, a very rare picture of you! Nice to see you again!