Friday, June 24, 2011

An Exhibition, some Happy Blocks and a "Big" Number...

With a title like that I'm bound to have raised your curiosity if not your eyebrow...

A few weeks ago I went to the Bramble Patch with my friends Liz, Mo and DD1.  It was their annual Strawberries & Cream Exhibition and as per usual it was a feast for the eyes and the stomach.  The scones and cream were delicious and the quilts inspiring.  I grabbed a few pictures to share with you.

I love the simplicity of this blue and red quilt and the repeated star shape in the quilting works incredibly well.  Just goes to show you don't need anything fancy to get a spectacular quilt.



This wall hanging with the feathers is so striking.  It took ever bit of control not to reach out and stroke the feathers.



Again another simple, but effective quilt.  I keep thinking I'd like to do something like this with my scraps.  The repetition of pattern and the plaid make this a very synchronized quilt!



Do you recognize this pattern?  It's of course the disappearing nine patch.  I love how the quilter put it on point and used the soft green as a "background"  It gives the eye a place to rest and makes for a sweet quilt.



In other news I managed to finish my Sew Happy Blocks for June.



I'm not sure about the apple fabric in one of those blocks below but hopefully it will work in the overall quilt.



Lastly I celebrated a milestone birthday last weekend...and here is my sorry looking cake!  I used Posie's Gets Cozy's cake recipe which worked like a dream, (honestly the BEST cake recipe ever!) but my icing didn't exactly turn out like hers.  It was suppose to be light and fluffy and cloud-like..which as you can see it wasn't.  I made sure to follow her instructions to the letter even insuring that I let everything cool off completely before whipping the ingredients together but it did didn't work.  Luckily it tasted great, but I sure wish I knew why it didn't work.  Any ideas?


P.S. - I've been doing some reading...apparently you need to beat the icing for 7-8 minutes...ooops didn't do that!  Bet that was my problem.

Until next time...

26 comments:

LynCC said...

Hehe. The beating could have done it, but other factors really affect things, too, like humidity and barometer levels of the day.

Terry said...

Happy Birthday! The cake looks yummy to me! And thanks for sharing those beautiful quilts! :0)

Contented Caroline said...

Yummy cake, hope you saved me some!! Hope you have a happy day.

Timi said...

Terry is right: the cake looks yummy!!! I am sure it was delicious! Happy birthday to you ♥♥♥!!!

Alicia P. said...

Hee :-) Yes, you have to beat it all for quite a while before you add the milk/flour mixture, then beat it again UNTIL it turns light and fluffy, maybe another five minutes or so. Hope that helps!

susan said...

A belated Happy Birthday. Sorry I forgot! The cake looks ymmuy - and sticky - but that doesn't stop it from looking good! I like the star quilt at the top. It is good to see what other people are making because it inspires new ideas in ourselves.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh shoot -- your cake picture has the number on it -- I was going to say Happy 30th!!! ;-D

Love those red blocks -- I can't wait to see the quilt. I'd love to have a collection of red and whites and blue and whites -- they're always so striking!

sewkalico said...

Again sorry I missed your birthday - it took me about 3 years to get my eldest's date in my head!!!
Great quilt and block photos!

Janet said...

Happy birthday! Your cake looks delicious. I sure enjoyed the quilt pictures - thanks!

YankeeQuilter said...

Happy Birthday! I'm sure the cake tasted wonderful...

Lizzie said...

Bet it still tasted awesome though..? Happy 40th, I loved being in my 40's, even though it's now a fond memory..sigh!! Love the red and blue star quilt..
Lizzie
xxx

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy Birthday! You don't look a day over 30 in your profile picture! The cake looks delicious.

Katie said...

I'll bet it tasted yummy anyway. Happy Birthday!

Ali said...

Happy Birthday Jane! You'll just have to bake another cake to perfect the icing!!

anne bebbington said...

I'm sure it will still have tasted gorgeous - happy Four Oh Jane - you're just a baby still :) and that plaid quilt is fab - thanks for sharing

Shirley said...

Happy belated birthday to you Jane. Wish I was 40 again. I hated turning 50, 51 was ok as I had accepted it by then. I am sure the cake was yummy, at least you didn't have to hide it in the microwave!!!

Lina said...

Oh that star quilt is just beautiful! Many happy returns on for your big birthday! One more year to go for me!

black bear cabin said...

Happy 40th birthday!!! But how come you made your own cake? :) heheheh Its the same way here too!

Marie said...

How exciting to meet another Canuck living here in the UK! I am thrilled. Happy Birthday to you. I think that cake looks fabulous even if you weren't happy with the icing. I also loved seeing all the quilts. I have not done any quilting in years now, but used to quite love it. xxoo

distelfliege said...

I can help with the frosting problem. You are doing something here we call "Buttercreme" in germany.
It's essential to beat the butter until it changes consistency and stops being a lump of fat and starts being a fluffy white cloud. the butter should be a bit soft and have room temperature, but it should absolutely not be fluid and warm!
turn the butter into a white fluffy cloud, you can't beat it hard enough - it's my experience that small kitchen mixer is usually not strong enough to beat butter fluffy to the maximum. I've done it with a bakery machine that was 1.80 meters tall, and the result was wonderful. the more fluffy the butter is, the more of the pudding can be mixed in. I add the sugar to the pudding and not to the butter, by the way. happy baking!

SewHappy.Me said...

I love your latest Quiltalong blocks and I think the apple fabric will look great. Hope you have a bit more of it to include later. Belated Happy Birthday.

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

I'm your newest follower. I love your birthday cake, mine usually look pretty similar. Well, I say homemade is supposed to look homemade, so whatever! I bet it was delicious. Please come visit me at my new blog, Ric Rac and Polka Dots. I'm brand new, but have lots of fun things planned to share with all of you. I hope to see you and your friends there soon!
Julie

Karen said...

I love the red and blue quilt; as you said, simplicity is its strength. I think your cake looks delicious as is! I will have to check that recipe out, one of my boys asked today if we could make a cake! Thanks for sharing.

Helen said...

40 and fabulous!! Congratulations, love Helen xx

Katherine said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Jane!

I bet your cake tasted divine. Mmmmm.

Lynda said...

I didn't get to the exhibition this year, so thanks for sharing the photod. (The feathers look fabulous - how did people keep their hands off them?)