Saturday, June 04, 2011

A Day out with the Butterflies

Earlier this week we went to Stratford upon Avon and had a wonderful time exploring the Butterfly Farm.  It was a lovely way to spend an hour or two and was very affordable thanks to the 2-for-1 vouchers I found on-line (from Vouchercloud).
As you walked up to the entrance the path weaved its way through these massive concrete circles.  They are obviously some sort of interconnecting drain pipe, but I loved how they positioned them and the visual interest it created. 



Once inside there were masses of butterflies fluttering around and one felt transported to a fairy-land...It was quite magical and within a few minutes we had them landing on our arms.





You had to watch your step and keep your eyes peeled as they were on every surface.  The magical and wonder of these little mini-beasts was everywhere.



Not only did we see the butterflies, but also some baby quails!  They were way too fast to catch on "film", but I spied 2 cockatiels having a snooze in the trees.



As you can imagine there was a wealth of photographic opportunities!  I only wish I'd brought my pocket camera too as it is much better at macro photography.



This is just a sampling of the pictures I took.  I hope you enjoyed seeing them.



Until next time...

16 comments:

susan said...

I love butterfly farms. You could just watch them for hours. Great photos and nothing wrong with the macro that I can see. (What time of day are you headed to the LQS on Monday?)

Liz said...

I remember a very pleasant afternoon spent at the Stratford farm, mesmerising butterflies and long tonges, not so keen on the spiders though.

Lauren said...

How pretty! Thanks for sharing - these are just wonderful shots.

Timi said...

So beautiful butterflies!!!
I enjoyed seeing them....:o)))

Needled Mom said...

Your photography is just gorgeous. What a fun trip it must have been.

autumnesf said...

Hey Jane - where did you learn to do the watermark on your photos? I want to do that but have no clue how.

YankeeQuilter said...

Great photos!

Leanne said...

Once again Jane you have capture the moment so well. I LOVE the 3rd photo.

Lina said...

I can't believe your pocket camera would take better macros! Perfect photography as always!

*karendianne. said...

Now this, this is very real delight over coffee. What a great way to start the day. My first stop and everything. What a great day it's going to be! On the backs of winged beauties, *karendianne.

Lynda said...

Lots of inspiration here!

Terry said...

We went to a butterfly house a few years ago and it was so much fun! Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures! :0)

Ady said...

I love that butterfly farm at Stratford. Lovely photos. I must take my kids there again this year. We went last year and they had a blast.

Cathi said...

Your photos are fabulous -- thank you for sharing such a magical place!

Thimbleanna said...

They're beautiful Jane. I only wish I could have been with you so I could have had a better butterfly picture this month LOL!

sewkalico said...

'Butterful' pictures - looks like a great place!