Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bad Bad Blogger...and how to back up your blog

If you are anything like me the recent Blogger outage gave you a chance to catch up on your blog reading!  For once there weren't as many posts being added as I was reading and I actually came to the end of the list! LOL  I must admit I'm not complete convinced the problems are all solved and I know many of you are missing posts and comments. (Even me :o) ) This is what Blogger say on their blog:

Update (5/13 7:46PM PST): Nearly all posts since Wednesday are restored, now bringing back comments from last couple days. We expect the comments to be back this weekend or sooner.

What a frustrating day. We’re very sorry that you’ve been unable to publish to Blogger for the past 20.5 hours. We’re nearly back to normal — you can publish again, and in the coming hours posts and comments that were temporarily removed should be restored. Thank you for your patience while we fix this situation. We use Blogger for our own blogs, so we’ve also felt your pain.



You can read the rest of the post HERE

In the meantime you might be wondering how you backup your blog if it is hosted by Blogger...So here's my top tip for the day:

From the Blogger Dashboard select SETTINGS

Right at the top of the page the first setting is Blog Tools 
You will see Import Blog, Export Blog. Delete Blog.  Select EXPORT BLOG
You should see a big ORANGE button that says Download Blog
Click that and a dialogue box will come up asking you where you want to save your blog on your computer.  Save it somewhere safe. 
What this downloads is a XML file  This is all the machine code that Blogger used to encode your blog...(I think I've phrased that right)  and is the same file you would use to export to Wordpress or the like.
Now you have a back up file that would be recognizable to Blogger if ever there was ever a catastrophic failure of their system. :o)

When things clam down I'll be back and tell you all about my visit with fellow quilter Susan from Canadian Abroad...

Until next time...

12 comments:

susan said...

Thank you for the blogging info - you can become my IT guru for blogs. How do you find out this stuff?!

willywagtail said...

Done! And a big thankyou. Cherrie

Paula said...

Thanks so much for showing me how to backup my blogs! I had no idea I could do that. :)

Helen said...

thanks for informing me. Will do this to be on the safe side :)

501 Quilt Blocks said...

Good idea! I just backed up mine using your instructions. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

Good to know! Thanks Jane.

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks, it never occurred to me to look for a way to backup my blog, but it's a great idea!

LynCC said...

Thank you!!! I was wondering if there was a way to save our blogs, other than ordering books printed (which, I must say, tempts me mightily). ;D

Needled Mom said...

Thanks for the advice. I am going to do it right now.

Lynda said...

I was very peeved, as I had just spent ages posting, only to find that when I wanted to publish, it wouldn't comply. Then when Blogger came back on, the post was gone! Very annoying!

sewtakeahike said...

oooh, that is really bad!!! I was wondering what was going on yesterday. I tried to leave comments on a couple of blogs but got the "blogger is not available" reply.

Leanne said...

Thanks for that Jane. You are a font of knowledge.