Monday, January 10, 2011

And I'm off...

...To a pretty good start!  As you know I have 8 tops ready for quilting for Project Linus and I managed to finish 2 of them in the last 10 days...including the binding!  Granted they are only little, but I'm feeling much better about things.  You all left me some very encouraging comments!  Thank you so much!



Finished at ~20" square this little quilt was quick to complete.  It used up the leftover crumb blocks that I made towards the end of 2010.  The rest of the blocks were used in 3 quilts...but you will have to wait a little longer to see them :o)



This quilt was made using a leftover cushion panel.  It had been washed at some point and has had gone a little skew-whiff, hence the weird dark border in the centre.  I framed it with some pieced triangles and some blue triangles.  It finishes at ~36" square and is all machine quilted ... even the binding is done by machine.  Pat Sloan has an excellent tutorial.  ...including videos, which is the best method I've found yet.  It was quick and easy...great if time is of the essence.

As well as two finishes, I've been working on my quilt-as-you go sampler blocks.  All hand appliqu├ęd and quilted, this block is my favourite so far...



Here's the whole block in the hoop as I was working on it.



I have to say I'm rather pleased how 2011 started off in the sewing dept...and rather unusual for me as traditionally I normally have a bit of a slump in January!  Hopefully this is a sign of a productive year :o)

Until next time...

17 comments:

Rachel said...

You're doing great! I love the quilting you did on the first one. Perfect!

I don't seem to be experiencing the usual January slump either. No complaints - I love getting things done!

*karendianne. said...

Ohh you're off to a grand start! I love your quilt-as-you go sampler block. Wow!

Quiet Quilter said...

Not sure what you call the last block you showed, but I saw something similar in an Irish quilting magazine and loved it..the over/under part intrigued me...

Deb Levy said...

Busy girl! Love the knot work!

Needled Mom said...

You have gotten off to a great start. That quilt as you go applique block looks fabulous.

Timi said...

Beautiful quilts!!! What a start :o)!

anne bebbington said...

Louise has that self same goose girl cushion in her bedroom one of the very first things I ever quilted :)

Shirley said...

Well done Jane, some child will be thrilled with such a super quilt and again a great way to use up those leftovers. I don't know aout celtic knots - that one looks rather like a Staffordhire Knot.
Good work.
Love Shirley.x

Jackie said...

Congratulations on your finishes! A finish is a finish no matter the size of the project. I seem to have the "work on WIPs" syndrome right now too. It's nice!

Contented Caroline said...

Looks good Jane - well done you for getting off the mark. I love that quilting on the first quilt you showed.

paula, the quilter said...

You are off to such a great start! I wish I was so!

Karen said...

Good going on the finishes. Also love the block!!

Thimbleanna said...

Great job Jane! I LOVE that last block -- that will be fun to see finished!

Quilter Kathy said...

Way to go! Every little finish counts! Love the sampler block!

bellsjo said...

Wow! You have been busy - a flying start to the new year. I alas have only managed one bee block!

Lynda said...

You certainly don't let the grass grow under your feet, do you Jane? What a great start to the year!

Yvonne Morgan said...

I love the bias applique! The checked fabric really adds lots of movement to the block.