Monday, September 06, 2010

Upper Canada Village

High on the must-see-and-do list while we were in Canada was to visit Upper Canada Village.  If you are ever in the Eastern Ontario region then this is an excellent day out.  I have several memories from my childhood visiting this attraction and falling in love the the best bits of 1867. 

In 1958 the St Lawrence Seaway was created and in the process of flooding the river several villages were lost.  Upper Canada Village is home to some of the buildings that were painstakingly moved to Morrisburg in an effort to save them and give them a new lease on life.  If you want to read more about the Lost Villages then have a look at this link.  I suspect part of my fascination with the area is that my Grandfather's family lived in Iroquois, a village, a little further down the road and in my collection of old pictures I have some photographs taken by my Great-grandfather of some of the buildings that were lost.  So I guess you could say I feel a connection.



As you go in and out of each of the houses, one notices a variety of quilts on the beds.  Later on in September the Eastern Ontario Guild have a show at the village which I believe will be the weekend of September 18th.



In the Ross Farm House there was a whole cloth quilt in progress on a beautiful floor frame....



To the side was a little quilt to which people could have a go at quilting.



There is so much to see from the woollen mill...



The saw mill...



To the flour mill...  There was also a bakery and we were lucky enough to get a loaf of bread at the end of our visit...yummy!!!



Along the way there are a variety of animals to see.  The goose (or is it a duck?) was very friendly and posed beautifully for the camera.  She was very sweet!



There were lots of picture opportunities and it was a perfect day out and a lovely way to spend our last day in Canada



Until next time...

11 comments:

Kathie said...

love the pictures especially the sunflower, I just want to tell it raise up and look at that sun!
the quilt on the bed is just beautiful...
Kathie

Needled Mom said...

Again, your pictures are just gorgeous! It looks like it was a great trip.

Lina said...

Loving these posts! We've never got round to going to Pointe du Moulin before so we're off there today to explore, so thank you for the reminder! By the way there is another quilt shop in the West Island, it's called Calico and is in Pointe Claire village, they do classes too, but their fabric selection is a little smaller...

Caroline said...

Hi Jane,

I always loved your blog, but at the moment even more that ever. We spent 3 weeks in Canada some years ago and filled out the immigration application on our way back. Life took us somewhere else in the end (UK, and now Singapore), but your pictures make me want to go there.

I wish I have met you when we lived in the UK, I would have love to learn how to make bagels and the no knead bread (far too hot here, it does not raise)... I am always amazed with the quality of your pictures, and your sewing. I enjoy seeing the change of season, following your visit in the British country side... I gess I must me home-sick.

Cannot wait for you next post.

Caroline

Timi said...

Wonderful post and beautiful pictures! Canada must be a very nice place...:o)!
I like those quilts, too!

Janet said...

I remember going to Upper Canada Village when I was a kid. Of course I wasn't interested in quilts then. I love that quilt on the bed - its so pretty!!

Kitty said...

Looks like a fantastic place to visit. Your pictures are always so classy. When you were away, what lens did you find yourself using most of the time? I bet I'm the only geek to ask you that?! x

Lina said...

Hi there - can't believe that Maison de Calico has closed down, I was in the village yesterday and didn't even notice! What a shame...

Lynda said...

I love these 'rescued' villages! Thanks for sharing this one!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- what a cool place to visit -- I love stuff like that. As always, your pictures are gorgeous -- thanks for sharing them with us Jane!

susan said...

Oh My God! You have just given me such a blast from the past. I LOVED Upper Canada Village as child. We went several times and it was one of my favourite places in the world. I can remember loving the saw mill (that incredible smell of freshly cut wood), and the shop where you bought sticks of candy with so many flavours to choose from. I have always had an interest in history and it places like this, and Louisburg after we moved to NS, that probably helped whet my interest. Thank you.

P.S. - Trawling through your old posts to get ideas what to make you for Pay It Forward.