Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Oh Canada....

Have you worked out where we went on our holiday?  Yes, we spent 2 glorious weeks in Canada in Montreal.  My sister was getting married and it was the perfect occasion to go home and visit the family.



During our 2 weeks in Montreal, we made sure to check out some of the local tourist attractions.  One of which was the Ecomuseum located on the West Island of Montreal.  They had several native animals, including otters, porcupines and raccoons.  But my favourite picture of the day had to be of this hawk.



Everyday we made sure to check out something new and even managed to locate a geocache in the local area.



High on our list of things to do was eat the traditional delicacies of Quebec...strange I know, but when you grow up on Poutine (a mixture of French fries, cheese and gravy) somehow you know you got to experience it once...(or in our case twice!)  We had maple syrup on our porridge and enjoyed the vast variety of fresh fruit that seemed to be in abundance.



In one community many of the fire hydrants were painted.  Apparently it was a project that was coordinated with the local school children.



I can't remember having a more peaceful and relaxing holiday.  The weather was perfect with highs around 25-28C.



Over the next week I'll share a few more posts on some of our travels...I hope you'll enjoy reading about our adventures...

Until next time...

13 comments:

Lina said...

So funny to see pictures of where we live on your blog! We live in Beacon Hill, so not far from Baie d'urfe where I'm guessing some of these pics were taken. And of course the Ecomuseum is a regular jaunt for us. And as for poutine, I'm a total convert!!!

Thimbleanna said...

Gorgeous hawk picture Jane! And I can't decide what to think about that french fry dish -- it looks really good???

Timi said...

The photo of the hawk is fantastic! No wonder why it's your favourite :o).
Poutine looks delicious to me...although I have never tasted it (yet :o) ).
I am glad you had a nice holiday :o)!

Needled Mom said...

What a fun trip! The pictures are great. I haven't heard of french fries with cheese and gravy before, but why not??? They are potatoes.

Janet said...

What a beautiful hawk! You'll be taking pictures for National Geographic next. :0) I'm glad you had a relaxing holiday.

Shirley said...

As you can see Jane I am not the only one praising your photography talents. Lovely photo's. Not sure about the cheese with the chip's and gravy though. Shall look forward to seeing more.
Shirley.

black bear cabin said...

Looks like a wonderful trip! i remember painting fire hydrants when i was in the girl scouts...that was soooo much fun! :)
i bet the kids had a great time! i look forward to seeing more photos!
in the meantime, welcome home!

Fiona said...

I guessed right! Not sure about the Poutine, though - I guess it's an acquired taste.

Lynda said...

Great photos and so glad you're back safe and sound, having had a fabulous time! (By the way, the chips look gross!)

Kim said...

Just great that your family had some Canada time! I remember the first time I saw fries with gravy. We were in Ontario at the time and thought it was the strangest thing, but it must be pretty tasty stuff or it wouldn't be on the menu. Poutine - no idea.

Linda Mullen said...

I just got back from Montreal on August 8th. I went with my son, and we too had poutines, hotdogs, no one can make them like they do in Quebec, or how about les crottes de fromage (cheese curds) or even the Tortillons. I brought some back with me and I just finished my last one today. I still have two cans of Spruce beer though.

To one of the people who commented on the poutine, have you ever tried an Italian poutine, which is made with fries, spaghetti sauce and curd cheese? Mmm mmm good. I'm hungry now but I should go to bed since I have to go to work in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I love chips, cheese and gravy. I think it may be a national dish here (Isle of Man)! You can order it at take aways, cafes and even in the school canteen.

I love your pictures. The bee with the agapanthus is fantastic.

I'm having a really hard time leaving this comment! It alternates between wrong characters for the verification and wrong password for Google (although I am sure it is correct).

Sue-Anne said...

My eldest son spent 4 months in Whistler and he loved Poutine! He has told us all about it but until now I couldn't picture it. Looks like you have had a wonderful time.