Saturday, August 14, 2010

Book, books and more glorious books in Hay - on - Wye

Do you remember the post where I told you about an amazing bookshop in Morecambe Bay?  Well, following that trip Anne told me how Hay - on - Wye is famous for its bookshops and I knew one day I'd like to visit.  There are 30 different used and new book shops in the area some as packed full as that one up north...but with only one day to visit and a 7 year old in tow - we didn't manage them all!



Why is it that where ever you travel, lunch seems to be the first thing you do!?  Failing to find a picnic bench we sat under this bridge...The photographer in me was captivated by the leading lines...



Next we visited several book shops..and had so much fun digging around looking for lost treasures.



I found another old-fashion cook book that dated back to 1934..I feel some cookery experimentation is in my future!



These books were in a shed and were up for a bargain price of £1 for hardbacks, 50p for softbacks.  Some old, some new and some very weird topics...Like the one in the above pic...cryogenics and refrigeration!!



I certainly would love to visit again and if you can manage it and you are a book lover then it is a lovely day out.


Until next time...

12 comments:

Ann J said...

Before moving to France we lived quite close to Hay and it was one of our favourite places to visit. Trouble was - what to choose :-) One special finds was old illustrated sheet music which framed up beautifully.

It is a special place, so glad you enjoyed it. Luv...........AJ

Shirley said...

Looks interesting Jane, have not been there. Shall look forward to seeing what you experiment with in the cookery department.
Torrential rain here and thunder rumbling away. Summer?!!!
Shirley.x

Timi said...

I like books,too! But we live too far to visit these shops... Maybe someday...:o)

Janet said...

What an interesting place! It looks like those books are outside? Love the last picture - we don't have anything remotely like it here.

YankeeQuilter said...

I loved visiting Hay! I used to combine it with a castle about an hour away when we had to entertain visitors from the US...never failed to disappoint! Love how they have little book stores for every topic...a travel store, a mystery store, a science....

Joyce said...

I went there about 30 years ago and was impressed! I still want to go back sometime. We stayed in the best B&B. They took us on a tour of the countryside. So generous.

Laura said...

Sounds wonderful! My mom & I are adding it to our want to do list for when we next visit the UK. Could be dangerous (to our $$) though!

Lynda said...

Hay is lovely, and there are some tempting gift and antique shops too!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, Hay is such a fun place to visit! We spent a few nights there several years ago. I confess, we didn't do as much book sleuthing as we'd planned on doing -- it was too fun to walk all the little streets and find little nooks and crannies. Your pictures are beautiful. (Was there a troll under the bridge with you?)

Mad about Craft said...

One of these days I am going to go to Hay when the book festival is on. I've always wanted to go.

bellsjo said...

Have you been to Astley book farm?
http://www.astleybookfarm.com/
We get lost in it for hours!

Locket Pocket said...

Hay is so much fun! We had a lovely time. Lucy x