Monday, April 19, 2010

Trying to get a few things completed...

Just lately I've been trying to get on top of my to-do lists and as a result there hasn't been a lot to blog about.  This morning as the sun streamed into the extension, I decided to get some sewing done.  I've been meaning to get my Linus Zig-Zag quilt basted and ready for quilting and all that needed preparing was the backing.  When I made the top I cut off the extra fabric on the top and edges to square it off and as not to waste any fabric I sewed the triangles together and have incorporated them into the back.  This is going to be so cheery!



In other news, DD1 and I decided to continue our recipe experimentations and over the weekend we tried our hand at sushi. 



I think I've found a new food group!  We used asparagus, avocado and believe it or not, tinned salmon (we couldn't get smoked salmon..Sainsbury's were out)  And it was delicious!!  I will be making more sushi in the future and will look for some alternative fillings...yum yum!

Until next time...

16 comments:

Terry said...

Your Linus quilt looks like it's going to be lovely! I'll leave the sushi to you...I don't eat fish raw or cooked! LOL

Ali Honey said...

Sushi looks good. Pleased to see you have avocado in there. Salmon is unavailable there because of the planes all being on the ground witht the eruption , BUT we saw on last night's news here in NZ that a large order of New Zealand salmon has been sent and should be there by now.

Jackie said...

I always love to see bits of the top fabric incorporated into the back.

I'm not a sushi fan but I must say that yours looks just like the kind that you get in a restaurant.

Rachel said...

Mmmm... sushi. That looks SO good!

Can't wait to see your quilt, although I had trouble focusing on that picture because of the mmmmm sushi below.

Needled Mom said...

Your sushi looks and sounds delicious. I can do the mild stuff, but when it gets into the eggs, etc. I loose my appetite for it.

Love the idea of using the strip for the backing.

Thimbleanna said...

How fun! I'd love to try some sushi -- was it hard to roll it up and cut it?

black bear cabin said...

the sushi looks fantastic...what a fun project to do with your daughter :)

AnnieO said...

Love the triangles sewn back together and added to the back--I was thinking of doing the same with mine, and using up some leftover bits from cutting the squares, as I just got borders on a zig zag quilt I am making as a wedding gift. I'll look forward to seeing your finished zig zag.

Sushi and I will never be friends but yours looks very enticing!

toni said...

I love using blocks and leftover fabric for the backing of quilts and yum! to the sushi! was it hard to roll? toni xxx

Sue-Anne said...

Your backing looks great, Ilove quilts that have an interesting backing to them.

I'm not into Sushi but it looks very appealing in the picture.

Kitty said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures as ever. I've been eyeing a Canon nifty fifty ... hmmmm, so tempting! x

Lynda said...

You and I are scrap queens! My daughter loves sushi too, and often uses smoked salmon trimmings for then - cheap and already cut into small pieces!

*karendianne. said...

Oh that Linus zigzag quilt is going to be so bright and happy, happy, happy! Lovely photos as always - even the Sushi. :)

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Hi Jane!

Thanks for sharing the sushi photo! It made me hungry! I love to make my own sushi at home and now I am just itching to make some rolls. Hmmmm.....

Can't wait to see the Linus quilt!

Christine said...

Your sushi looks great, I am a big fan of sushi

cheers
Christine

Tanya said...

Good for you! That sushi looks very authentic! I should know! I ate some just like it yesterday here in Japan.