Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Quick Easter Break Round Up...

I hope everyone has had a good Easter break and I know for some, you still have a week to go.  Sadly, we are all back to school and work tomorrow.  I have so enjoyed the time off with the children.  We've had fun baking, playing games, watching movies and having days out.  Although the first week remained quite wintery the second week warmed up and the first signs of spring are starting to appear.  Just looks at these beautiful blossoms.



And this gorgeous swan who is obviously out to impress!



On Friday we took the the DD2 to Snibston.  Snibston is a cross between an interactive science museum and an old coal mine museum.  There is so much to look and do that it is fun for the whole family.  This was a second time we have visited Snibston and we enjoyed it as much this time if not more.



One thing we did that we didn't do before is go on the colliery tour.  That was really interesting and the fellow that gave us the tour was very informative.  He just recently retired from the mines and was incredibly informative.  In the coal mine museum, one wall was lined with these canisters.  Each one contained a gas mask that the miner would take with them in case the air became unsafe to breathe.



In another part of the museum there was a small display of period costumes that were worn in various period movies.  This is Mr. Darcy's!  Swoon!!  From Pride and Prejudice.



A reminder of who Mr. Darcy is...(best scene in the movie!) :o)  Shows the clothes briefly...



Ok this one shows the outfit..



This dress was worn by Drew Barrymore in Ever After.



Look at this gorgeous bead work!  Amazing!



Here's a youtube video (not a brilliant one..I'd turn the volume down...but it shows the dress from a few different angles)



Until next time...

22 comments:

Jackie said...

Jane, You certainly did have a wonderful break!! All your photos are just gorgeous. But by absolute favorite is the swan. How on earth did you manage to get him "showing off"? That is just beautiful!

Connie W said...

I am enjoying your photos and loved seeing the costumes!

YankeeQuilter said...

Those costumes are great. I saw a display of other Jane Austin period costumes in Bath when I visited...so beautiful!

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Welcome back Jane!

OHH MY GOSH, I loved seeing the Drew Barrymore dress! I love that movie.

Thanks for sharing.

*karendianne. said...

Mr Darcy... swoon is right. And what amazing photos. A delightful visit for my afternoon. A real treat!!!

sewkalico said...

Beautiful blossoms!! I loved those P&P clips - that is such a gorgeous movie - I may have to watch it again soon!

Janet said...

I LOVE Pride and Prejedice - what a great exibit although the clothes do look better on the man - lol. As always your pictures are fabulous!

Sue-Anne said...

Love your photos Jane and thank you for the "Mr Darcy" clips. I think I may have to watch the movie again - you can never get too much of Colin Firth!!

Terry said...

Great pictures! I adore Mr. Darcy! Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite movies! :0)

katelnorth said...

We love Snibston - my MIL lives near Coalville, so we have been there several times. Once, there was an exhibit of corsets in the clothing hall - not sure if it's a permanent exhibit or not, but it was great.

Thimbleanna said...

It looks as if you've had a wonderful spring break! The museum looks so very interesting! We visited The Big Pit when we were in Wales and we loved it!

Karen said...

Love the costumes, gorgeous. My husband used to be a hard rock miner and they had to "brass in", which meant taking their brass, numbered circle off the wall, and into the mine in with them. Then if something were to be schedule for blowing up, they would know who was in the mine and make sure no one was near the blasting sight.

Lynda said...

I haven't been to Snibston for several years - I can feel a visit coming on!

Cathi said...

What a wonderful break you had! The pictures are fabulous -- I love the one of the swan. And, of course, the costumes. Stunning!

Primrose Patch said...

Jane... just found your lovely blog through Lucy Locket, your quilts and photography are wonderful. I will be following you on my blogroll if that's ok with you.

Sarah Jayne said...

You take such great photos Jane. Thanks for sharing them.

silverpebble said...

Oh Pride and Prejudice - I haven't watched this for so long - it had me swooning all over again. Thankyou Jane, I shall winkle out my dvd and take it round to a friend's tonight. Sigh.

Christine said...

thank you for the lovely post I really did enjoy reading and seeing all the lovel pictures.
Thank you also for your lovely comment on my blog.

cheers
Christine

Helen said...

Stunning photos Jane, I am such a fan of Mr Darcy that I called my cockeril after him!! Mmmmmmm Mr Darcy such a handsome boy!!

UK lass in US said...

What beautiful blossoms. And those costumes... I think I'm going to have an evening of sewing and Pride and Prejudice tonight...

Heather said...

Just found your blog and am enjoying your wonderful photos. Is it possible that there is a woman alive who needs a "reminder" of who Mr. Darcy is? I thought we all had him (and his white shirt) burned into our memories. ;-)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Fabulous photos, want Colin Firth in those clothes on my next holiday though!!