Friday, March 12, 2010

Pioneering Kind of Day

Last week I placed an order on Amazon for some books for my DD2 and while I was at it I treated myself to the new Pioneer Woman Cookbook.  Not only is this book a feast for the eyes with its amazing photography, but the recipes look so delicious!  On Saturday my DD1 had a friend over for a sleep-over I thought the "morning after" would be the perfect occasion to try PW's recipe for French Breakfast Puffs!  I must admit I was feeling a little dubious of her quantities, but I forged on and like magic all the batter did indeed fit into a 12 cup muffin tin.  Once the muffins are baked and still warm you roll them in melted butter and then coat them in a dusting of sugar and cinnamon.  They are completely sinful, but they are GOOOD!  If you have teeth that scream high notes from sugar then a possible alternative would be to only coat the tops and use less butter/sugar-cinnamon mix.  Also I think I'd be tempted to use fine caster sugar...if you happen to have it.



These were a hit with the girls...and I think I've managed to hold onto my good reputation of being a good cook amongst my DD1's friends :o)



Keeping the Pioneer Woman theme for the day, we tried her Sherried Tomato Soup.  Once again we were not disappointed.  Now as a rule, I'm not a fan of tomato soup..but this soup was on a different level!  There is a cup of sherry in the mix and that turns it into proper grown-up soup!  And, as we found out, has the same effect as a Christmas dinner...About an hour after lunch I thought the house sounded quiet...2 out of 4 members of the household were curled up on the sofa napping away!!  I really recommend this soup..especially on a cold and snowy Sunday when you have no place to go.


P.S. Click on the links for the recipes...they are both on her website so you could make them this weekend!
Until next time...

10 comments:

Lynda said...

The puffs look scrumptious, and the soup sounds very sinful!

Sue-Anne said...

Those muffins look great. I like the idea of the soup putting some family members to sleep for a little while!!!

Rachel said...

You almost had me convinced I should make those French Breakfast Puffs... then I realized: If I make them, I'll probably eat them. Bad bad bad!

But I was inspired by your post anyway, and made a loaf of raisin bread in the breadmaker... at 4 in the morning. Not haute cuisine, but it smells delicious.

Jackie said...

I have the book and you are right it is a feast for the eyes and the stomach!! What you made just looks terrific!

Cathi said...

Those muffins look fantastic! Sinful but fantastic!

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh Jane. That middle picture of your muffins -- you should send that to PW LOL!

Christy said...

I bought PW's cookbook for myself after Christmas. This week, I made her Perfect Pot Roast and Creamy Mashed Potatoes. Honestly, the BEST pot roast I've ever had! Maybe I'll try those Puffs next. :)

Janet said...

Those muffins look YUM!

The Quilt Buddy said...

The puffs really do look sinful!...My kind of sinful!...I might have to give the "grown-up" soup a try.

Thanks for sharing and making hungry for puffs..:0)

Jo Hargrave said...

Jane the pictures are fabulous. Love the indoor shots especially, now - what to do about the SLR and lenses conversation we have just had ?

...will just pop back and have a look at the recipes now too...