Friday, March 26, 2010

Green Day - a variation on the 3 R's

Last week my eldest daughter's school had a "green" day to promote recycling and more eco-friendly ideas.  They traded the traditional 3 R's for the day to focus on the 3 R's of Reduce, Reuse and Recycling.  They had to dress in an outfit that they could link to this theme and as my DD1 is quite interested in this subject she went all out.  She started with some jeans that were hand-me-downs and a t-shirt that said something about going organic.



Then she made herself a choker necklace by knitting tape off an old cassette tape.  And in case you are wondering, Britney Spears is all over this one!  DD1 admitted that although this looked good, it did get a bit scratchy after awhile.



The jewellery theme continued with this bracelet made from pop can tabs.  The tutorial to make a belt this way can be found here.



She went on with the re-use theme but using newspaper to decorate her nails.  I must admit, I found this one a bit strange, but it was creative!!


Until next time...

10 comments:

Jackie said...

The cassette tape choker does look scratchy but I love the bracelet. What a great theme day at school to get everyone thinking!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! The acorn didn't fall far from the tree -- what a clever DD1 you have. Love those cute fingernails LOL!

Kim said...

Love the idea of using newspaper print to decorate her fingernails. Brings new meaning to sign language ~ on to the toes! The bracelet is actually pretty hip looking. The necklace idea might work done up as a belt of sorts so it won't scratch. You know, it used to be that the three RRRs meant readin, rightin and rithmatic. Teehee! Glad you daughter is enjoying fun projects and challenges at school.

sewkalico said...

Wow! So creative of Miss Sew Creative!

Kitty said...

Wow - that bracelet is wonderful! She should make them a sell them. What a resourceful girl you have there. And as ever - fabulous photos. x

YankeeQuilter said...

The bracelet looks great! Our local organic store added a 4th "R"...remember!

s'me said...

We had an eco day as well. We turned the lights off.....

I think your daughters school was more creative lol!

Christy said...

Some very creative ideas. Love that bracelet. I might have to make myself one. :)

Lina said...

She is very creative, how proud you must be. I especially love the bracelet! My children (5 and 7) have this very morning ripped all the tape out of a cassette tape and turned into their pet dog...proving that repurposing can happen at any age!!!

Lina said...

PS Like Kitty I think she should think about selling the bracelets, I bet her friends would buy them!