Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Still here...appliqueing away...

I thought I'd better get a post up today before anyone sends out a search party.  The last couple of weeks have been so busy, what with 2 family birthdays and 2 different colds coming through the house.  I'm just about over cold #2, but I have to admit it is taking a bit longer than I would like to shift. 

Although I've not felt inclined to sit at the sewing machine I have been doing some hand sewing.  Like a cat, I've found the warmest spot in the house, curled up under a quilt and have been stitching away.  I'm now working on Block 4 of a BOM from Apple Blossom Quilts.  As I've said before I'm using Sharon Schamber's method of needle-turn and I'm loving it.  She uses a wash away stabilizer under the applique shape which gives you an edge to turn to...as a result my curves have been very easy to achieve as are my points.



This got me thinking...I'm forever questioning quilting methods and trying to improve on them...could the same effect be achieved with freezer paper?  It is a cheaper and easier product to obtain after all...so to test the theory out I'm redoing a Dear Jane Block.  The last one like this was another attempt at needle-turn, but I really didn't like the results..and it has been bugging me ever since.  So far the freezer paper is working, but I have to say Sharon's method is easier to handle..not so crunchy! LOL  I'll let you know how I get on :o)



Until next time...

8 comments:

Lynda said...

The freezer paper method is good, although the paper can sometimes come away! One big advantage is that you can reuse the freezer papaer, which saves money and time!

silverpebble said...

These are the kinds of techniques I'd like to learn this year - thanks so much for the link. Your quilting looks beautiful - get all better soon x

Kim said...

Hi Jane! Nice to hear there are birthday celebrations, applique and quilting going on, but sorry to hear about the colds that are hangers on. I'll check this link. My applique work needs all the help it can get. Be well soon!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, that cake looks delicious! I tried needle turn and just couldn't get the hang of it. I'm a freezer paper and baste kinda girl.

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like you have been busy and productive. I love hand sewing in a warm and cozy spot.

Maria said...

Hi Jane! That quilt looks great! I'd like to know about that technique.
Now I'm used to the freezer paper.
Thanks for the link.
The cake has to be delicious.

Clare Wassermann said...

lovely - get well soon x have you heard of using dryer sheets for turned applique? look at Quiltrat's blog. see my page for a link in the sidebar.

Susan said...

That cake looks luscious. Did you make it? What is it called? Do you think I could find the recipe online?