Monday, January 18, 2010

An interesting read...

I don't know about you..but every so often I find a blog that really says something to me.  A blog that can get me thinking and even inspire me.  Most of the time I read what they have to say and often won't take the time to make a big announcement that I've found something new to me.  But this blog is different...this weekend I found the blog of Kevin and Amanda.  Now you might already be familiar to them, but I hadn't seen their blog before and there is so much there that got me thinking and for that reason I just had to share their link.


Fan of kevinandamanda.com! Free Fonts. Recipes. Scrapbooking. Photography. Blog Design. Tutorials. Giveaway. Everything you're into!

If you are at all interesting in recipes, scrapbooking, fonts or how to tweak your blog then you will enjoy Kevin and Amanda's site. 

But besides all this there was a nugget of information that really shocked me.  Amanda wrote in a post about how she and her husband have started calorie counting in order to lose weight and the very first thing Amanda did was start weighing her breakfast cereal and eating the recommended serving.  Now that doesn't seem like such a big deal, but honestly when did you last weigh out your cereal?  I was shocked!  What I thought was a healthy get-up-and-at-them breakfast (ok a full bowl) of cereal is a whooping 500-600 calorie breakfast!  So thanks to Amanda I've cut that right down and for the last 2 mornings I've had a much smaller bowl of cereal and I honestly don't feel any worse for it.  I know "they" keep saying that our portions are too big, but "they" might be right.

Until next time...

8 comments:

distelfliege said...

As I read your blog often in my newsreader, I've just now noticed your new design. It's great! Coming here always makes me want to learn more about photography.
the calorie thing is interesting. I'm 35 now and stopped smoking last winter, and I find my body is in a totally different "working mode" now. I guess I need to change something about nourishing myself. Or get new clothes every 6 months *sigh*

Needled Mom said...

I'll have to go check it out. I do agree with you that we have no idea how many calories are in our servings.

Becky said...

LOVE the new layout!
Very interesting about the calories...I hadn't ever noticed that!

paula, the quilter said...

I've been a fan of Kevin and Amanda for a while now. I used their free fonts to make my blog signature. I'll have to start weighing stuff. I've been measuring food but really, try measuring out 2/3 of a cup of a hard pillow shaped cereal.

willywagtail said...

Please - No! No! I knew that about the cereal but I really don't want to. I just love chewing it and if I had to have the correct amount I wouldn't get so much chewing in. O dear. I'll have to think seriously about this as I AM trying to lose weight without going on unsustainable diets. Cherrie
PS My word veri. is cowspe. Maybe that means I need to chew more on what is my correct portion!!

Jackie said...

A true portion size is an eye opener for sure! Often a serving is many portions.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh. My. Gosh! Did you HAVE to post a new blog? And not only that, THEY are linking to a bunch of new blogs. Oh, the time ... I need MORE time!!! Thanks for the fabulous link!!!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh and how funny -- I just did the think they show on Christmas bokeh by putting the filter on your camera -- it was really fun. Ok, I'll try not to come back here and comment everytime I read one of their old posts LOL!