Monday, August 24, 2009

And the winner is... (plus my visit to the NEC)

We have our winner of the non-slip sewing machine mat!


Congrats Lisa...drop me an email with your details and I'll get the package out to you.

For those of you that are interested.  The pattern for the sewing machine mat can be found on Tazzie's website.  Her instructions are so easy to follow and the end result so useful.  Tazzie has a great blog too, if you want to see what else she is up to.


On Saturday, I went to the NEC with the DD1 to see the Festival of Quilts.  It's been a few years since I've gone and I was sooo excited to be there.  DD1 said I was like a kid in a candy shop..and that was before the doors even opened :o)  As we were waiting in the queue to go in we saw Sarah from A Village Quilter.  I knew then I might see a few familiar faces.

My first stop had to be seeing Sherry at her stand for Irish Quilting Magazine.  I've been reading Sherry's blog for quite some time and have shared an email or two over the years.  It was great to finally meet her and have a chat.  I could have chatted all morning, but with many stalls to see and quilts to view, I had to be on my way...but not before I bought the new issue of Irish Quilting! ;o)



There was so much fabric to choose from that it was hard to know where to start first.  This was just one of many stalls.


After lunch we started to look at the quilts.  Lynda has talked some of the ones she liked on her blog and on the Lutterworth Piecemaker's Blog you can see their entry.  I took this close-up of one of the Lutterworth balloons...I love how it sparkles.


I also liked this quilt of mittens and the saying that was embroidered. 


This one was interesting with all the mementoes of previous trips.


And this one made me think of all of us that like to recycle shirts and don't know what to do with the cuffs!


As you can imagine I was drawn to this one and the links with Canada.


I'm not one for crazy quilts...but this was pretty...


And this was pretty too. 


It was a brilliant day and I saw so many people I knew...surprisingly considering I was there with 10000 other people!  At one point near by there was the very recognizable voice of Trashy (who I met for the first time in April)  It's a good thing it was her...can you imagine if it wasn't and I walked up to someone and called them Trashy :o) 

Until next time...

14 comments:

Gina said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself. i was there on sunday and the first person I saw as I went through the doors was a fellow blogger. What was the chance of that.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

YankeeQuilter said...

Blogging sure has made it a small world! Looks like you had a great visit to the show!

Anonymous said...

the quilter who made the 'Canadian' quilt must have been from Atlantic Canada with the Newfoundland pony, the puffins very specific NFLD symbols and others that could be any of the Maritime provinces. Very well done indeed. LGP

Needled Mom said...

Oh my, but those are great quilts. I love the thought process going on with them, especially with the sleeves.

loulee said...

LOL I recognise some of those photos! I loved the shirt sleeve quilt too, did you see the back of it?

Kim said...

You sure had a fun filled day ~ such unique quilts.

mysterycreature said...

Wow, was this at the NEC in Birmingham? How did I miss that it was on?!

I did my first ever quilt square for a charity project the other day.. now I have to progress to a whole quilt!

andsewitis Holly said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of the quilt show! I like the balloons, too! And those shirt sleeves.... the mittens... aren't people clever. Looks like you had a great time.

black bear cabin said...

ohhhh....that canadian quilt is pretty...no wonder that one caught your eye :)

The fabric selection in that one booth sure caught mine...i imagine i would have spent a fortune there...did you make it home with any money left? :)

Tanya said...

Such a variety of styles and colors! All are so beautiful! I think I like the one of the scenery the best!

Lynda said...

It's always lovely to see photos of visits to exhibitions you've been to - the quilts are often ones you don't remember seeing! Thanks for that!

Nancy-Rose said...

Hello Jane!

I'm a first time visitor (and NOW a subscriber!) to your blog. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your photos.

Katherine said...

Thank you for sharing all those wonderful photos, Jane. Lots of inspiration in these and I'm glad to hear you had such a good time.

VerrySherry said...

Sew great to see you! I love the assortment of quilts you've shared here. Oh if there was another day just to look at quilts!! thanks for popping by