Monday, July 06, 2009

My First Quilt

Camille over at Simplify and Carrie at La Vie en Rosie are hosting a challenge to show our first quilt and our most recent quilt or quilted related item and explain how we've improved and learned about quilting in that time.  It sounds like fun so I thought I'd join in. 

Now you will have to excuse to rubbish quality of the photos, but I have literally dashed up to the girl's room and grabbed this quilt from the bed and then dashed between rain drops to get these pictures.  This quilt is, in fact, not my very first quilt, but rather the earliest quilt I still own.  The very first quilted item I made was a paper pieced star wall-hanging that had all its points sewn across because I finished it with a 5/8" seam!  And the second quilt I made was so badly made and so puckered from the quilting that it was put in the bottom of a dumpster in 1997.  So here it is....a Sunbonnet Sue Quilt sewn step by step by watching Eleanor Burns on PBS! 

I didn't know anything about using only cotton fabric and so this was made with dress fabrics and sheeting that I inherited from my Grandmother...but saying that, it is one of my favourite quilts because it had so many of my Grandmother's fabrics and trims in it.  I was looking at it the other day and smiling at the fact that it has some pretty "vintage" linen in it...something that is all the rage now and it has some Laura Ashley fabric from my purple bedroom when I was growing up.  It's been used well since it was made in 1996 and although it breaks many "rules" it is well loved and is holding together well.

As for the last quilted thing I made...well you only need to look at the next post to see that :o)  I've learned a lot since that first quilt was made and every quilt from then has added to my skill.  I think I've gotten better putting fabrics together, though I don't often make a quilt from set fabrics.  Most of my quilts are scrappy and I don't think that is something that is going to change.  It's been awhile since I finished a quilt, but I do have 2 nearing the quilting stage..one of which needs to be finished by next week!

Until next time...

22 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I think your quilt is wonderful...but I can't wait to see your latest work!

randi said...

Adorable quilt!

Needled Mom said...

So cute...and it looks square.

Camille said...

What a treasure! How special to have so much of your grandmother in your quilt.

Mandy said...

it is beautiful well done xx

The Faerie Queen said...

Beautiful, and I have to say it looks much neater than my first quilts did. xxx

Carrie said...

Rules... schmules. The only reason we should know "the rules" is so that we know what we're doing when we break them!

I love your quilt ~ and I love that it holds so many memories of your Grandmother for you. And a Sunbonnet Sue quilt, I have no idea why but Sue-quilts always, always, always make me smile. :)

Thank you for sharing!

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun quilt Jane! The quilts with memories are the best kind!

Lisa D. said...

What a charming quilt! It's especially wonderful for all the great memories it holds!

Lynda said...

Now you know I don't like Sunbonnet Sue as a rule, but I have to admit this one is soft and pretty, and very admirable for your first (ish) quilt.

bellsjo said...

That is very impressive for an almost first quilt! It looks brilliant and great that it is still being used by your girls!

maria said...

Your quilt is in the spirit of how quilting started. Not using specially produced, high quality fabrics but what was available. It's great that it hold so many memories of your grandmother.

Nanci said...

You know it doesn't matter what the first quilt looks like as long as we started quilting....yours is great and I love the history of it
Your grandmother would be proud.

lissa said...

Thanks for sharing! Isn't quilting the greatest hobby!

Stacey said...

I love your first quilt!!

Chris Worthy said...

I just found your blog through Stillmeadow Quilting. Your work is lovely!!

Amanda said...

It's beautiful. I always wanted to make the QIAD Sunbonnet Sue. She has so much personality.

Donnelly said...

I have always wanted to make a Sunbonnet quilt. I hope to someday. Can't wait to see your latest. Have a great day.

Deborah said...

I love quilts used with scraps from clothes. I have one that brings back all the memories of my childhood because of the material used was from material my mother used to make my clothes. I've made several quilts with my children's clothes.

Bowlby said...

This quilt is so sweet! I love the little roses on the bonnet.

Chase said...

You have an adorable quilt!

rachel griffith said...

this is such a sweet quilt.