Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How my holiday continued...

Thank you for all the lovely comments on my last blog post about our rather windy experience in Wales.  I must admit you all were at the front of my mind when I woke up to all that weather and my first thought was to capture some video for the blog!!  That's dedication if you ask me.
Many of you asked and hoped that we would get away on a second holiday and I'm happy to report we did.  Like Lynda recounted in her comment, we drove towards the best weather in the country, which took us to the opposite side of the country to Norfolk...Great Yarmouth to be exact.  This time we played it safe and stay in a hotel.  We spent 3 nights there and we had a wonderful time.  Having never seen Norfolk before I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.  It is incredibly flat...a huge contrast to the mountains of Wales and has some of the loveliest beaches I've seen.  I, of course, snapped hundreds of pictures...which I shall share a sampling.

The first beach we visited was at Winterton-on-Sea.  It was beautiful and a great place to dip our toes, but strangely it had hundreds of ladybirds!  I have yet to see a ladybird in my garden, but I sure made up for it there.  They covered everything!





This is the beach at Great Yarmouth taken from the pier.



We also spent a day in Happisburgh.  It was a bitter sweet visit in that the coast of Happisburg is so beautiful but it is also falling into the sea.  You can see where the road just stops, dropping off into the sea and you know that every year they lose a bit more.  My DD1 was especially moved to be there as she did a project on Happisburgh when she was at school and being there made it all that bit more poignant.



We spent the day on the beach in Happisburgh...I did a little stiching.



The DD1 did a little KIP (Knitting in Public)...while my DH had a little kip :o)



Our last day took us to a 10 acre corn maze in Hemsby.  I wasn't sure at first, but it turned out to be a great day out.  It was a very relaxed environment and the owners made you feel very welcomed.



Our guide leader (the DD2) got us lost on more than one occasion...and I can honestly say I was walking in circles!!



Along the way we met an interesting creature! :o)



Thankfully we did get a summer holiday in the end, and the weather cooperated.  It started the rain as we left Great Yarmouth and as I sit here it is pouring rain outside.  A perfect day for a pot of tea and some blog reading.

Until next time...

27 comments:

Terry said...

I'm glad the last of your trip went better than the beginning of it! Looks like a lovely place to visit! And your pictures of the ladybirds are so cool! Love the fellow you found in the corn maze too! :0)

Loralynn said...

I'm so glad you were able to have such a wonderful vacation after all! Your pictures are lovely!

Gina said...

I'm so glad you managed a dry holiday. Unfortunately the weather in Wales hasn't improved since you were forced home.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Needled Mom said...

It sounds as though it was a lovely holiday. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the time with gorgeous weather.

Stina said...

Lovely pictures.. and a lovely time spent with family!!!
Enjoy!!! :o)

Leah said...

Your pictures are always so lovely. I enjoy stopping by to check them out.

Kim said...

Hurray! As usual, your photos make me wish I could be there.

Thecraftytrundler said...

Glad you had a better time in Norfolk, lovely pics!!
Iam going for a weekend to Norfolk in a few weeks time. Dave comes from there originally, and knows the area well. I am looking forward to it!!!

Sharon xx

anne bebbington said...

We did a house swap when our three were little with a family in Norfolk and had the hottest UK holiday I've ever experienced - it has a micro-climate all of its own - I remember taking the children to Thetford Forest for the day to get some respite from the beating sun - mind you it was when Lou was only 6 mths old - sadly never been back even though we loved it as it's such a long way from the South West - must put it on the 'to return to' list. Glad you managed to get in some summer sun - it rained solidly here all day, yet again! Seems like the West Country isn't the place to be either

black bear cabin said...

hurrah! looks like a great time! i love the cornmaze...its soooo easy to get lost in one of those! i enjoyed the photos...and great to have you back :)

sewkalico said...

Beautiful photos!

Joy said...

So great that you had a much better 2nd half of your holiday ;o). Those ladybirds are so pretty, what great piccies!!
Hugs,
Joy ;o)

Elle Emm said...

Glad to hear that you got some nice weather. We too are heading to Wales (Northern) and we're flying into Scotland on Sept. 23rd, so I guess jackets are in order.

Contented Caroline said...

Lovely pictures - glad you had a goold holiday in the end. Remind me to ask you about that interesting stitchery you're doing!!

Randi said...

Lovely photos!

Elle Emm said...

We'll be sure to bring our umbrellas then. We've been lucky on most of our trips to the UK, but his year's weather all over the world is something else. I've been tracking Scotland's weather for a while, it gets quite cold at night, so I'm thinking of bringing my leather jacket. We arrive Sept. 23rd and I fly back Oct. 7th DH flies back on the 14, he will stay an extra week to spend some quality time with his parents who are in their 80's.

Carin said...

Jane great pictures as always! Looks like you had fun.

silverpebble said...

Oh I'm so glad you had a lovely break in the end - such fun! I've noticed lots of ladybirds here too - just like 1976. Shame it's not as hot though. Boo

Juliann said...

Your photos are lovely. Sounds like a fine holiday.

W. Latane Barton said...

What a fun time. Glad that you got away to something beside that awful rain. I love the picture of the stalk with the ladybug on it. and the first one of you and daughter looking at the water. Great pictures.

Lynda said...

Glad you had a good time, eventually! Lots of people have had similar experiences, I hear (weather-wise, I mean!)

mysterycreature said...

Lovely photos as alwasy, and I am soo jealous of your holiday (in a good way!)!

toni said...

I'm glad that you were able to have a better second half of your holiday! Thanks for the terrific photos! I've only ever seen lady birds on the beach once before, we were on holidays and there had been a storm and the next day there were thousands and thousands of them. They blew in on the winds.

Sarah Jayne said...

I'm so glad you eventually had a good holiday. Your photos are great.

JuliaB said...

Hi Jane. What a shame about the rain in Wales causing an evacuation! Your photo's are AMAZING though. You are sooooo talented!! I wish I could do that with a camera. x

Quilter Kathy said...

Lovely photos (as usual!)! My favorite is the one of the girls wading in the water.

Jo in TAS said...

Wow jane, You take such magnificent photos! All so beautiful and interesting!