Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Pink Challenge

When we went down to London a few weeks ago, my youngest daughter selected this fabric when we were at the quilt shop.  At the time I had said I'd make something with it..though I hadn't decided what and more importantly I hadn't promised what.  Like much of the fabric that comes into this house, it gets washed and put in the cupboard with the rest of the stash. 

It must have been sometime last week when my youngest realised that there was a difference in the number of quilts that were hers compared to the number of quilts my DD1 has.  This, of course, raised the issue that my eldest has at least one more quilt than the youngest and that it was my duty to put things right.  It was at this point that the carefully washed and folded fat 1/4 became the inspiration...and the challenge of making a whole quilt using one fat 1/4!  I umed and ahed for a few days jotting ideas down between making meals and going to work and finally I came up with a design which will showcase the fabric in the centre of stars and be surrounded by Chinese coins made from a collection of pink charm squares that have been waiting in the cupboard.



Until next time...


12 comments:

loulee said...

So you have a magic wand too!
It's amazing what we come up with to prevent WW3 breaking out in our own homes.

anne bebbington said...

You can never go wrong with saw tooth stars or churndash blocks to showpiece a special fabric in the centres

Joy said...

Oh I bet it will be gorgeous!! I've just done a coin stack quilt too, they're fun to make :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Gina said...

What a great idea for showcasing a fabric. I can't wait to see the full effect.

Love and hugs Gina xxxx

Terry said...

Your daughter's quilt is going to be lovely! I need to make my daughter a quilt, but I have to wait until school starts again so it can be a surprise for her! :0)

distelfliege said...

I really don't like pink much. But your photography is simply great! Just last week I found out that my monitor was calibrated all wrong. It was much too bright and had so too much saturation. Now it's way better. But your photos were great before recalibrating it, and they still look great after. :-)

Kim said...

What a fun quilt for your daughter. She's going to love it. I look forward to seeing it when you're done.

Rachel said...

Can't wait to see it! It sounds wonderful.

sewkalico said...

Hurry up LOL, I'm looking forward to seeing this!

bellsjo said...

I have used this fabric before - it is wonderful isn't it? I did wonky stars using the last two princesses from the FQ I had. They were sent to Australia to go into a bigger wonky star quilt!

Here they are:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35382876@N05/3287724144/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35382876@N05/3286904445/

black bear cabin said...

im excited to see what it becomes...i often buy a fabric "just because", with no idea of what it will be...so perhaps this will give me some ideas :)

Lynda said...

Designing a quilt sround just one fat quarter!? What a challenge! It's lucky you're up to it, Jane.