Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bless me bloggers it has been 8 days since my last post...

...but I have a good excuse!  What a bumper half term it has been!  We have had fabulous weather (so unusual for the UK) and we have taken full advantage with plenty of fun in the sun, BBQ's and Pimms in the garden.  It has been more like a summer holiday and I really don't want to get back to the routine tomorrow.  My DH was off for the week and we had some relaxing days in the garden mixed with trips down to the park.  My DD2 has re-found her confidence with her bike and my DH has been a great coach.  I snapped this picture on the way down to the park.  I just love it...



I also grabbed this picture of the neighbours weeds growing out of the fence on the way to the park!  Amazing how good it looks when you get a close-up!



Along with all this good weather comes the promise of bargains at the car-boot.  I, per-usual, was on the look out for cotton shirts.  The first table had 2 shirts for 50p each!  Next I found a lovely ladies pyjama with little flowers.  But the best of the lots were some XXL shirts I got from a lady that sold them to me for 75p each.  She asked me why I was looking for 100% cotton and I explained that I made patchwork quilts. 
"Like the Americans?" she asked...
"Yes", I said to be polite...even though I'm Canadian and we all know that it is multi-cultural hobby! 
"so", she said, "you are going to cut them up?" 
"Yes" I said...
to which a sly smile came across her face..."oh that's a good use for them, they were my ex-husbands!"
I wish I'd bought the lot now :o)

Until next time...

18 comments:

anne bebbington said...

The car boot lady's answer did make me smile - can't you get a lot of fabric from a large man's shirt. Just love the photo with the bike - like something from a posh calendar or a glossy magazine - you're rivalling Mrs M from The Magpie Files for your photography

YankeeQuilter said...

That shirt selling boot sale lady sure brought a smile to my face!

Anina said...

What lovely summery photos! And a cute tale to boot. (I couldn't help myself)

Gretchen said...

The photo of your husband and daughter is just too precious. Love it!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Love the shirts! You saw mine already ..... can't wait to see what you're going to do with yours.

Janet said...

Those are NICE weeds! You take such lovely photos.

Rafael's Mum said...

Lovely weather it was ! I opted out of the carboot this weekend for some walks with the dog but allready regretting it.... Then again.. you should see the amount of cotton shirts I have collected in that way and not cut up yet ! I have promised myself not to buy more till those are done ! lovely colours you found. like the picture of them too. and the bike one is great..I agree with anne in post no 1. like a posh calendar !

Kim said...

Hurray for making the car boot lady a happy happy girl, lol, what a hoot this story is! Doesn't summer feel just great?

Nicole said...

Ack. It has been so cold here the past two weeks on the California coast. I don't think we have gotten about 62 degrees even once! The ocean influence means grey skies, damp fog and chill winds. What happened to summer? I want to wear my shorts and flip flops not turtlenecks and boots.

Jodie said...

hehe the ex-husband quilt !!

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha -- funny conversation over those shirts. Weren't you glad you could make her day? I got my siggy blocks last night -- I love your block!!! ;-)

andsewitis Holly said...

Hi Jane! Long time since I commented - sorry. Funny story about the lady's satisfaction as to the fate of her ex's shirts. Fantastic picture of your husband and daughter.

toni said...

i'm still laughing at the boot-sale lady and her ex-husband's shirts!

sewkalico said...

Classic reply - bet she would have loved to have cut them up herself!!

Lily Boot said...

oooh it looks just like a beautiful scene from Country Living (my all time favourite for 20 years magazine!) Lucky you having such beautiful weather. Enjoy!

Shasta said...

That's funny. Luckily she doesn't know how beautiful the quilt will be when you finish. Great photos!

mysterycreature said...

Brilliant, what a lovely and surreal situation. Everyone (well, you and a friend) seems to be making quilts at the moment - I wish I knew how to!

Karen said...

What a nice picture of your DH and DD. The weed is a valerian. I have one growing in my yard, and they're in several yards in our neighborhood.