Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Party like it's 1969...

Ok, ok I've taken a bit of liberty with the lyrics...but it was the only title I could come up at 10 o'clock at night that will link with this post. :o)

Later this month my daughter's school will be celebrating a big birthday and as part of that celebration the children will be putting on a performance where each class will be representing a decade in the last 80 years.  My daughter's class is representing the 1960's and need to be dressed accordingly.  I figured the only way to be sure I was getting the style right with her dress was to buy a vintage pattern off Ebay and dust off my dressmaking skills.  Here's the pattern I found...



Here's something you wouldn't see today...



And here is the finished dress.



I have to say that the construction methods on the instructions were very different to how I think they would be written today and I had to make it up as I went...but I'm thrilled (as is my daughter) at the results.

Incidentally I have put a huge hem on the dress which can be let down as she grows...it was something my grandmother did on the dresses she made for me and even in 2009 it's still a good idea ;o)


Until next time...

20 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think I may have worn a dress from that pattern to my uncles wedding! It's adorable on your daughter!

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

What a brilliant dress! I particularly love the fabric you've used - so perfect!

Lucy x

Kim said...

OMG, that pattern looks very familiar to me, too. I used to sew for my girls and really enjoyed seeing this. Thanks Jane!

Katherine said...

Fabulous! Aren't retro fashions fun?

Tammy said...

Absolutely adorable and I love the colors.

Thimbleanna said...

VERY cool Jane! It looks perfect and VERY 60-ish!!!

Amanda said...

What a great dress - and the fabric is perfect. I loved the 60s patterns, and could always find something that suited me, unlike now. Perhaps I should just go back to making retro-dresses.

Ali said...

Oh it's fantastic - love that contrast colour pleat!

jo said...

what a brilliant dress - the fabrics are lovely and you have made it perfectly!

loulee said...

I'm sure I used to wear a dress like that. Mine was lime green! Your yellow version is very pretty, your daughter will be the belle of the ball.

Phiphi said...

beautiful dress and the fabric is very pretty. I'm very bad in reading instructions..:( I'm more of visual readers.

kellyi said...

Hi

Off topic, but I am the Mum to Holly on the mail swap. Just thought I would let you know we got the second letter today and are busy working on a reply :)

Your blog is lovely - one day I aspire to be as skilled. I have a machine but I am a bit scared of it at the moment. One day.....

Nice to meet you!

Kitty said...

Well no wonder you're both pleased - that's really cool. I'm a big fan of large hems too! x

Susan said...

Very mod! I loved the inverted pleat back then and I still do today.

Holly said...

How adorable. The material is cute. And I love the socks too.

Jilly's Space said...

Hi Jane, thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving such a nice comment.
I really enjoyed looking through your blog and am now a follower! ;o)
Jill :o)

Thecraftytrundler said...

That's lovely!! I was a little one then & used to wear dresses like that!! Mum used to buy dresses that I "Could grow into"!! My uncles used to call me "Polly longfrocks"!!!
Aaaaah happy days!!!

Sharon xx

black bear cabin said...

totally awesome...and i love the fabric choices! can you make one for me :)

Nancy said...

The dress is lovely. I recently found a pattern I had made up in 1969 or so on Ebay, for a ruffled, midi-length peasant skirt. How fun!

Sarah Jayne said...

I love the dress