Thursday, April 09, 2009

Easter Eggs, Picnics and children in trees?

Last week the world saw some great meet-ups.  First the great leaders came together for the G20 summit...then there was the Nato meeting...

This week the world saw this...



The great blogger meet-up in Oxfordshire ;o)


What a fantastic day!!  I've never experienced anything quite like it..people I'd never met before greeting me like I was an old friend...hugs all around and the sense that these ladies were kindred spirits.  The whole uneasy feeling when you meet someone new just wasn't there and the words shared between us were those of genuine friendship...  Penny quoted it so eloquently on her blog when she said "a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet"  Probably the hardest part of the day was remembering people by their names rather then their blogs... :o)

Although the day started out a bit chilly, the sun was shining and we were able to spread our picnic blankets (quilts) out to make a giant picnic area.  Lunch was a feast as everyone brought more than they could eat and food was passed around.

To make things interesting for the 15+ children that were with us, we all brought an Easter Egg for each child that we brought with us.  Two of us had wrapped our eggs and interestingly enough they were the last to be chosen...proving that most children would rather pick something they can see then take a gamble on the unknown.



Eve made lovely little bundles of eggs for each of the children each tied with a little ornament egg.  Aren't they sweet.



Next it was time for the adults to have their presents.  Trashy put all the names in a bag and we pulled out the name of the person we were giving to.  Here's Julia (with Kitty in the background and Kate looking on as she pulled a name out.


Moogsmum got my gift of the pincushion and mug cosy



Eve got one of Julie's lovely little egg cosy rabbits



I got an Echidna pincushion wrapped in pretty fabric from Trashy



And Trashy got a Laundry Haiku from Ali.



There was more going on around me, but I didn't catch what everyone got from whom.  I'm sure it will all be blogged about in the next 24 hours if it hasn't already.

Millets Farm
had a lot to offer, which unfortunately I didn't get to visit in it's entirety.  I did snap some pics of the animals...one of which was a woolly pig.  Trashy was sizing up how many socks she might get from him ;o)



And I loved how this goose posed for me ;o)



So as you can see...we had a wonderful day...with Easter eggs, Picnics and oh and yes...children in trees...it would seem there was a bit of "monkeying" around on their part and I did look up to see one of our group at top of a very big tree!  Seems the children had a good time too.



I just wanted to say a great big thank you to Lucy and her sister for organizing this meet up...I can't wait to do it again! (hint hint)

Until next time...

25 comments:

Kitty said...

It was fabulous to meet you Jane ... thank goodness one of our number was paying attention and taking photos! I got ones of animals but not people!

When we got home we found we were sunburned and tired. It was a lovely day.

x

Jackie said...

Sounds like a fabulous time was had by all! Even the children. How cool to do something like this. I hope you get the opportunity to do it again.

Ali said...

What great photos Jane - my camera didn't make it out of the car even! Serious fun.

JuliaB said...

Hi Jane. What FAB pics! A lovely day indeed and I too have a spot of sunburn! x

Clare said...

Sounds as if you had a great time.

Love that pig!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh. My. GOSH!!!! Your pictures are fantastic!!! It looks like you all had a fantastic time -- and the weather looks PERFECT! WOW! What a super cool thing to do. I thought about you guys all day yesterday and hoped it was going well. I wonder what all the children think of their wacky mothers meeting like this LOL. And a fuzzy pig -- I've never seen one of those!

Kim said...

You captured many happy faces and the lovely picnic quilts! There are times when you just need to put the camera aside and be in the moment, especially during such a rare and joyful opportunity to participate in a 'Meet Up Day'.

Pam said...

It looks like it was a fabulous picnic. Great pictures. It was fun going around to all the different blogs links - boy there are a lot of blogs out there I have never seen.

silverpebble said...

Ooh - some photos of the big day! So sorry NOT to have met you Jane, but you may have heard that my little one wasn't very well. It looks as though you had a fabulous time. A woolly pig too! Top banana!

trasha said...

They would have to be for rough feet but I reckon you could get at least a pair of socks from that pig!

katelnorth said...

we really must meet up again sometime so you can teach me to take nice photos :) SO glad someone took some good photos - and nice to fill in a few gaps on the present front - I don't think I saw the gift to Moog from you as I don't remember it at all...

As Kitty said, I found I was sunburned when I got home - oh, and the weather today was nowhere near as good, so well done Lucy for working her magic with the weather gods.

We really must do it again someday.

anne bebbington said...

I'm sooooooo jealous - you all look to have had a terrific time

lovestitches said...

Looks like fun! And pigs wool? I think I've seen it all now!

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks like a fantastic day for bloggers and children alike!

Lynda said...

What a lovely day! Glad it all went off well - with quilters there was little doubt though!

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Wasn't it a lovely day?! I think everyone enjoyed themselves and the children seemed to have a fabulous time! Great gifts for everyone too - but shame about the sunburn - I got really burnt and a lady in a service station on our journey home thought I must have been somewhere really exotic!

Lucy x

Barb said...

Wow, that looked like alot of fun. It would be totally awesome to meet my online blogging buddies.

Moogsmum said...

It was so meet you and your lovely children Jane. Your photos of the day are just great - I loved those woolly pigs! Bet they'd make some very scratchy socks though!

My pincushion has been put to very good use already - in fact, I'm wondering how I ever managed without it!

xxx

Moogsmum said...

I do of course mean to write 'so great to meet you' - blame it on the post sleepover brain-fog!

Lesley xx

Sharon said...

What a fun day. I'd love to have one of those here. It's so nice to meet all the bloggers isnt it?
Thanks for sharing with your day with us.

Greedy Nan said...

How strange! I have emailed you separately and was looking at more up to date stuff and found that you know Kitty! Kitty has been super-helpful to me in the technical bits of blogging as I'm more than a fool and she's explained it all so simply.
I can see that you must have had a great time but hope you didn't OD on the old choccy!

Catherine said...

Wow -- does that ever look like a fabulous day!

Banaghaisge said...

It looked like a fabulous day - what a lovely thing to do. Loved all the presents, and the eggs for the children, and that wooolly pig looks USEFUL!
BTW - is a platypus not an echidna. I have some echidnas living around my house, and they wobble around quitte calmly. Not enough water int he creek for platypuses. Well, none actually...
Hugs,
Jasmine

Bia Cardeal said...

What's "wooly pig"? I don't know this animal!

Bia Cardeal
from Brazil

Bia Cardeal said...

Oh! I forgot: I love to take pictures too! Could you see it in my blog?

Bia Cardeal
from Brazil