Sunday, March 15, 2009

Curvy Strips

I've been having a little go with free curved piecing.  Lynda and I are part of a little group that meets 6 times a year.  Each time we meet we learn about a different technique and then go away and make a block or two of that particular technique.  This year we are trying different methods of curve piecing.  I must admit when Lynda demonstrated the method I had my doubts that it would work...but it did and I really liked how easy it was to achieve.

First you lay 2 wide strips both right side up one on top of the other and then you cut through the 2 layers with a gentle curve.  Then you exchange one half of the set with the other fabric.  Very carefully you sew the two together easing the top and bottom fabrics together just as it goes under the needle.  Our fabric theme was black and white and red...I choose these fabrics from my stash...rather bright..but I think they meet the brief well.


Until next time...

7 comments:

Katherine said...

Looks like fun! This is something I've been meaning to get to trying. I love your colour combo, Jane. Will this be for a bed sized quilt?

YankeeQuilter said...

You did a great job with this...and I love the red and black. Getting together with other quilters is a nice way of learning new techniques.

Jackie said...

What wonderful combos! Isn't curved piecing fun! I really love it!

Carole said...

Looks like you're having way too much fun! lol Love those colours! Cheers!

Kitty said...

I really love the effect of that - it's fab. x

Lynda said...

Glad you found this technique straightforward. It's quite amazing that it turns out flat, but I suppose it's because the strips are cut together so snuggle nicely when you sew them.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

THIS LOOKS SO FUN, AND I ADORE THE LINUS QUILTS. LOVELY