Monday, March 02, 2009

Bits and Pieces...

Where did February go!...Those extra 3 days to a month do make a difference!
I feel like I've been trying to catch up with myself! There is so much going on..hence why I've been posting less as of late.

So to catch up, I thought I'd do a quick round up...I've been collecting pictures of things to blog about and while I've got 20 minutes I thought I'd get them all done in one!



I've been experimenting with two of the no-knead bread recipes that seem to be popular at the moment. There is the NY no knead and the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes recipe. Both are similar in that you throw the ingredients together and leave them to ferment and stew. Both are loose in consistency and both are shaped in a round using flour to stop it from sticking to you and everything around you...BUT which one tastes better? Any thoughts?
I did liked the Artisan bread in that it is kept in the fridge until you need it, but because it is there you know that you've got to make up to 4 loaves at some point. As a result I felt the need to make bread with every other meal (which is not necessary a good thing for the waistline) It had a good flavor, but I really didn't think it had its best flavor until it had sat for several days.
The NY method is really good..and has good flavor, but you do need to think about it day ahead...I'm curious..has anyone else been trying these recipes?



While all that bread making was going on I stitched up 2 blocks for the Bushfire Quilt Project.



And lastly...the sun has been shining in the UK and the flowers are starting to bloom...It always makes me think of a poem my Dad used to recite at this time of year...

Spring has sprung, the grass has ris
I wonder where the birdie is.
The bird is on the wing.
But that's absurd.
The wing is on the bird

Until next time...

12 comments:

Jackie said...

That bread looks fabulous! I am such a bread person, but you are right not so good for the waistline. I can't believe your crocus are up. We are right at this moment getting 15 inches of snow dumped on us.

jovaliquilts said...

I made the NYTimes one a few times right after I read the recipe in the paper, but not since. It was very good -- thanks for the reminder! Your loaf looks like it has a stupendous crust! Did you use a stone in the oven? We have one and get good results, but I don't think they are that good.

Vicki W said...

We have been making the Atrisan bread. We move the deli rye and the tapenade. You can make half and quarter batches but we seem to go through a whole batch in 2 weeks! I'm still trying to make a better sandwich bread.

YankeeQuilter said...

I may have to give these a try. I just splurged on some artisan "raisin and pecan" bread this weekend only to find it only had a couple of raisin and almost no pecans! How dissapointing...so I was thinking of trying to make some myself (that will teach them!)

Nice photos...as always!

Kitty said...

Beautiful pictures - as always. I hate to worry you, but the weather forecasty person said it would snow again this coming week :-O x

Katherine said...

A blog post of my favourites - homemade bread, quilting and flowers...sigh... Just lovely!

Stina said...

That bread of yours looks wonderful...hope it was tasty too...and thanks for the lovely picture of spring!! :o)

Fiona said...

I've made the no-knead bread - it was okay though it did have the consistency of a crumpet.

summersadie said...

I haven't heard of those breads, interesting. I'm sure I've asked you this before, but what camera and photo-editing program do you use?

maria said...

The crocus picture is stunning.
The star blocks are great!

distelfliege said...

Great photography again!!
About the bread: I've read those instructions.. on the second link there's a post where they say german "brötchen" get their crust because of egg whites. I'm a german baker and that's not true.
The NY no knead bread recipe looks like a normal bread recipe to me. Also the way it's done is not new or unusual (if you're a baker). We don't make bread only with yeast, though. In our bakery, we make it only with sour dough without any additional yeast.
If the dough takes a long time to ripen, a lot of aroma is developing.
your bread looks great! You must have a good oven at home.

janet said...

I've done both those breads, I had more flavour with the no knead using sourdough. I add some bran fakes to my dough to make a light bran version.