Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bagels!



Ingredients

7g instant yeast (the one in the packet)...I think it is also know as easy blend yeast
or 2 tsp of the yeast that needs to be reconstituted with water
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
300 ml water
500g bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt



Place all the ingredients in a bowl or mixer with a dough hook.  Take care to keep the salt and the yeast apart until you are ready to blend and mix in the water.  Add the  300 ml of water bit by bit  until you have a firm moist dough.  Knead for 10 minutes (less if you are using a mixer)





Place dough in a bowl (can be slightly oiled...though I haven't bothered)
 Leave for about hour or until double in size.



Once dough has risen (and the sun has started to shine :o)  Punch down and leave for 10 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 425F or Gas Mark 7



Cut the dough into 8 pieces.  Roll into a ball and then stick your thumb or finger into the middle and stretch from the center until the dough piece is doughnut shaped.  Don't try and make it sausage shaped and bring to two ends together...we tried that and it didn't work very well.



Leave shaped dough for 10 minutes and meanwhile get a pot of water boiling with a couple of tablespoons of honey



Reduce to a simmer.  Lower the bagel into the water and wait for it to puff up and float to the surface.  This takes no more than a couple of minutes.





Once they have puffed up, lift with a slotted spoon and place on a greased baking tray.



Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden. 

*Variations...If you wanted cinnamon raisin bagels add 1 - 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the dough and add 1/2 of raisins after kneading.


Until next time...

19 comments:

Connie W said...

YUMMMM! They look so good!

Joy said...

Well you learn something everyday!!! I had no idea that bagels got boiled first!!! They look just scrummy :o)!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

paula, the quilter said...

Gosh, those look good. I can just smell the yeast clear over here. Nice watermark on the photos, btw.

anne bebbington said...

My little one is very partial to cinnamon and raisin bagels - I might just have to give her this recipe

Thimbleanna said...

How Fun! I've always wanted to try bagels at home, but just been too chicken. Thanks for making it look so easy!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims and Gardens said...

OM Gosh I have never seen bagels made, they look so delicious. Super tutorial. Thanks for sharing, yes you really make it look easy. :))

distelfliege said...

Your bagels look great!
Thanks for the recipe!

Fiona said...

I never thought of bagels as something you could make at home but I might just have to try this because you make it look so easy.

Jackie said...

Hmmm.... I have never tried to make bagels. They look delicious and I love them too!

sewkalico said...

Gosh, if I could make these wheat-free, I'd be in heaven - they look divine!

jovaliquilts said...

Mmmmm....yum!! Those look fabulous! When I made lunch for my daughter to take to school the first time, her first day of first grade, I asked what she wanted and she said "Homemade bagels and salmon mousse!" I obliged that time, but I definitely scaled back on the labor for future lunches!

Katie said...

Wow. I have to try that!

*karendianne. said...

Oh my goodness, yummy! I always enjoy visiting 'sew create it' - its all eye candy and I dig the way you pull your photos together.

Happy Visitor!

Anne Marie said...

I just saw the episode of Rachel Allen Bakes where she is making bagels. I have to try this!!!!

Anina said...

Yummy! I made bagels once and they were great, so you've got me thinking about it again now.

Becky said...

Those bagels look delicious. I read your blog frequently and what you show and your photos are always so inspiring! Keep it up!!!

Chase said...

Bagels look so good... Is it hard to make?

Jennie said...

Mmmm I love bagels, have never tried making myself - the dipping in hot water has always confused me but it doesn't look too difficult, I have no excuse anymore!

Simone de Klerk said...

I think I will ask my daughter to make these next weekend. Wow!