Friday, January 16, 2009

Always carry a camera...

...you never know when a picture opportunity is around the corner.

This week I helped my DD's school take the children for a walk around Dunchurch Village to talk about the different kinds houses in our area.  As the teacher walked and talked and pointed to the various houses, she told the children about the different materials that make up these homes.  Little did she know that we would be lucky enough to see a local thatcher re-thatching the notice board.  I, being prepared, had my camera at the ready and snapped a few photos to share with you.  For us in the United Kingdom it may not be all that new, but for those of you across the pond I thought you would find it interesting.





Until next time...

18 comments:

willywagtail said...

What a wonderful ability to recreate styles of the past. Sigh. And yes your advice about the camera is excellent - now all I have to do is take it. Cherrie

Jackie said...

Terrific pictures! When we visited the UK in 1991 were were lucky enough to see someone rethatching a roof. I still find it very interesting.

jovaliquilts said...

Very cool! How often to thatch roofs have to be repaired/replaced?

Suze said...

Thank you for the picture. We have a shop here on Cape Cod with a thatched roof. Several years ago it was damaged in a storm and they brought some men from over the pond to repair it.

anne bebbington said...

Lovely! England at its best :o)

Ali Honey said...

Yes I agree - always take your camera with you.
Thatching is not often seen here but Brushsticks are being used for very attractive fences.

sewkalico said...

What lovely photos!!

Terry said...

That is so cool! I've seen this on TV but this is almost like seeing it in person! Thank you! :0)

Christine said...

That was fun. Thank you.

lovestitches said...

I've read Milly Molly Mandy so I know all about thatched roofs LOL but a thatched noticeboard? Thats posh!! How lovely that thatched roofs still exist.

Carin said...

Okay that is way cool but I have a question, isn't it a fire hazard?

Connie W said...

Now that's a sight never seen where I live. Ever. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere. So thanks for the pix.

distelfliege said...

in northern Germany old houses often have this kind of roof, and I've heard the owners pay quite a lot for the fire insurance. A roof like that lasts many years - maybe not a small one like that of the notice board but the roofs of houses certainly.

Love the photos!

Denise (Nour) said...

I love the new look of your blog. Could you explain how you signed your name so colorfully? Thanks!

Nancy said...

How fascinating! Just one of the reasons I hope to visit your island, one day...

rachel griffith said...

oh how awesome!!!
man i love thatching!!!

Leanne said...

Great snaps.... it amazes me that thatching keeps out the rain.

SummerSadie said...

huh, that is neat. You're right, we don't see that much around here. Way to be prepared