Friday, December 12, 2008

A hive of productivity...

Busy busy around here... 

This week I finished another stitchery that is perfect for this time of year.  Many thanks again to Cathi who sent me the kit...it is now part of the Christmas collection and it will be on display along with the other bloggy decorations.



There has also been some baking in the kitchen...These gingerbread cookies went to the school bake sale...I did the cookies and the DD1 did the decorating.



And lastly...I had to get some sewing in there..this quilt top which measure 56ish" square was made in a couple of hours......yes a couple of hours!  I remember seeing some instructions for this ages ago and for some reason I just had to give it a go.  (It was one of those "make me, make me" moments.)  Basically I started with my box of 3 1/2" strips and sewed one continuous strip measuring roughly 850"  I put them together on the diagonal, but you could sew them end to end.  Once I had my mega long strip I then took one end back to the beginning and sewed the two strips together along the long edge...pedal to the metal!  Once I had 2 strips together, I then folded that in 1/2 and sewed them together now creating a 4 strip unit.  Repeat to make a 8 strip unit and then lastly to a 16 strip unit.  I wanted it a bit wider as the original size was 46" x 56ish" so I added another 3 rows to make it square(ish)  I can't believe how quickly this came together ...or how it didn't make a dent in the 3 1/2" strip box!  But it is colourful and will make a great Project Linus quilt.




24 comments:

Amanda said...

It looks like your little hive has been busy like my little hive! I love the stitchery. It's so sweet.

I don't stich that often, but I am trying to look for some stitchery projects to take with me on Christmas vacation. I think I'll go crazy if I don't have something to do during the between times when I'm not visiting family.

loulee1 said...

What a sweet little stitchery. And WOW! a super fast quilt top.

Anina said...

Your photos are always so great!

Joy said...

Your cookies look fabulous!!! I haven't done any Chrissy cooking yet ... guess it's time I did ;o). I seem to be running a bit behind this year (??).
Fabulous quilt, so quick and easy!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

cathicrafts said...

Love the stitchery!! Glad you liked doing it!

Libby said...

What a great project. My 1 1/2" bin runneth over. I think I may just have to give this a try *s*

Christy said...

It all looks lovely! I might have to give that quilt pattern a try too. I've got more scraps than I know what to do with. ;)

distelfliege said...

Amazing, the strip quilt top doesn't look like it can be made that fast.
The cookies you and your daughter made look great, she did a great job with the decoration!
I'm a baker and I know many of my colleagues wouldn't have managed to make gingerbread look as good as your daughter did.

sewkalico said...

Considering that this is such a busy time of year, you are amazing!
The stitchery is gorgeous!! And that zippy quilt looks fab. (I'm not going to even mentiuon those biscuits, because they make me want to go and make and then immediately eat some!!!)

black bear cabin said...

okay...those cookies are just too fancy for words! your daughter did a wonderful job of decorating them. As for that christmas tree embroidery....i LOVE it!!! i might have to copy you...its too cute! How big is it?
And your new quilt that you "just whipped up"....wow...youve been busy! im hanging my head in shame, as i havent picked up a needle in quite sometime :(

Ali Honey said...

Some really lovely ideas there. The cookies look yummy; the quilt is a great idea for scraps - thanks! The wee mouse you made it very sweet.
Well done - you've been busy!

YankeeQuilter said...

That is a busy week! The quilt top is really nice...I need to make a QOV between Christmas and New Years so I may try this technique...

ozjane said...

Hmmmmm Oh to be clever. So easy to see after the event where you could have done better. I did something similar a couple of years ago for a friend for Christmas and used Christmas fabric but failed to cut on the diagonal.

I do hope your image remains in my thick head.

The stitchery is also a lovely one for crazy quilted Christmas stockings......one of which I am just finishing.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Karen said...

I like the stitchery project. A nice piece for the holidays.

Anne Marie said...

Love the stitchery!!! What a great idea for strips which I seem to have an endless pile of...

We will be baking our cookies later this week, my favorite time of year!!!!

Kim said...

Everything is looking deliciously Christmas at your house. Beautiful cookies! I'm busy work on a flannel rag quilt, can't wait to see it's transformation.

andsewitis Holly said...

Stitcheries are my first love. Yours are so sweet. You take beautiful pictures, Jane. Stay warm!

Katherine said...

Your house looks like the place to be! So much creative goodness happening.

Sherry said...

I love your stitchery & that strippy quilt top! Those cookies look very yummy. Your daughter did a wonderful job on decorating them.

Kim said...

I so don't get the directions for the top. :(
But I love the little tree stitchery :)

Grazia said...

Thank you for your great idea of scrap quilt!!!!
Grazia

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims and Gardens said...

What a cute little stitchery to add to your collection. I really like your strippy quilt, I am thinking it would be a good use for a jelly roll, or the new smaller version.
Carrie

jovaliquilts said...

Such a fun quilt -- there's something so satisfying about scrap quilts. It'll be great for donation, but I'd kind of like to have one for myself with my scraps in it. Kind of like a "scrapbook" (pardon the pun, unintended!).

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Jane, you and Libby are corrupting me!! I NEED to get my house in order before starting anything but this quilt is pulling at me!!! Gorgeous pictures, what software do you use for you collaging and playing with the pics? Tracey