Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's half term...sewing, a day out and another bird...

It's half term week around here and as a result I'm able to spend more time doing some of the things I love..spending time with my girls, sewing and taking pictures. 

My DH bought me Joby Gorillapod a while back and I've been having a great time using it to take pictures that otherwise would be impossible.  I used it to take pictures while I was sewing...



By using the tripod I was about to use the timer and a slightly slower shutter speed to capture the picture using only the ambient light.  I love the way this turned out!  I was working on half square triangles to make pinwheel blocks...for this quilt top which will eventually be for Project Linus.  I pulled these fabrics out when I was at the Linus Day earlier this month.




The weather was superb yesterday and despite the grumblings from the girls we got out and over to one of my favourite places...Coombe Abbey (you might remember it from this post)  The birds were out in full force on the pond and this lady stood still long enough to have her picture taken.  We also saw rabbits on our walk, but you can't get close enough to take a picture...maybe one day I'll have a camera that has a great zoom on it :o)

The colours are just finishing on the trees and most of the colour is now on the ground.  I took the next two pictures in a little area of Coombe Abbey...a flash would have been too harsh, so again I secured my camera, used a timer and a slower shutter speed to let the light do it's magic.  I'm thrilled with the results...



Lastly is a picture I took of the little waterfall.  I had to hold my camera as there were too many kids around, but I managed to slow the shutter speed down again to capture the movement of the water. 



16 comments:

Susan said...

What a great gift from your DH; your pictures make me feel I was there with you.

I have that same fabric print with the little girl and boy that I bought years ago and haven't done anything with it.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Oh my! You have such great pictures! They are beautiful :o)

corry said...

Your pictures are wonderful, don't you just love autumn!

Ginger_Curls said...

What lovely pictures. You have such a good eye for what will make an interesting photo.

loulee1 said...

I love walking in the autumn and seeing all the colours.

Pretty little quilt.

Ali Honey said...

Great photos ; I especially like the waterfall.

distelfliege said...

The closeup shot of you sewing is great! Also the waterfall.

Carole said...

Looks like you're having a great time with the camera! Thanks for the show! Cheers!

Lynda said...

You are so creative, Jane! Anyone else would have left that fabric in pieces and made a boring quilt (or given it away, as its first owner did!) but not you!

em's scrapbag said...

What an awesome gift. Your photos are fabulous!!!!

Katie said...

That tripod is so cool! Great photos. I think I need lessons from you. :-)

jovaliquilts said...

Your posts are always just beautiful to look at. That water photo is fabulous!

Lisa from celebrate CREATIVITY said...

Great photos and I'll have to look into that gorillapad tripod. I've never heard of that kind of tripod before but I can see how useful it is.

Katherine said...

You take such great photos, Jane! How wonderful to now have a tripod to make photo taking easier.

Kathy Wagner said...

Such beautiful photos Jane!
Love the new blog header...you are so creative!

SummerSadie said...

What lovely photos!