Saturday, October 25, 2008

A bit of sewing...and a parrot visit!

What a week...It has been busy busy around here, but I have managed a little bit of sewing. 

I managed to finish the quilting on my Irish Chain!!  Woohoo! I just have to get the binding on and then it will be DONE!

Also this week I put together a Mariner's Compass block for my Flutterwheels group that I attend with Lynda It was paper pieced and then the center was appliqu├ęd.  Every time I have a go at this type of block I keep saying that I want to make a whole quilt of them...but it has yet to happen!

And lastly in the creative department...the makings of a parrot. 
This week at the DD2's school they were having a pirate party.  It was to celebrate the end of that topic as they have been doing everything piratey for the last half term.  The children have loved it and the teachers have been very creative in using this theme right throughout the curriculum from Maths to English.  So last week we got the "invitation" and the suggestion was that all the children could attend school in jeans and a stripey top...of course DD2 being her was not settling for just being a pirate...she wanted to be the ship's parrot!!!  (Lucky ME) :o)  So armed with PVA glue, a bag of feathers and a feather boa...I set to work.  The feather boa was sewn to a red sweater and a beak was made from some cardboard, the hat from more cardboard and then covered with feathers (insert sneeze)  It was very successful and I'm happy to say she was the only parrot..so an original idea.  The only downside to all of this is that I will forever being finding pink feathers..and well I suspect the school will be finding them over the next year too!  Just look at that mariner's block above...I just noticed a pink feather made it into that picture!!!




17 comments:

Gina said...

What a gorgeous parrot. Gemma always wanted to be different when it was dressing up day aswell.
Love the Mriners Compass

love and hugs Gina xxx

Deb said...

Love that mariners compass Jane...the scallop edge really sets it off.

And that's the cutest little parrot I've ever seen ;)

everythingquilts said...

Adorable little parrot. I love the Irish Chain quilt, wish I could have seen the whole thing.

Ali Honey said...

What a hoot! or should that be hooter - parrot beak. Very cute wee bird.

I love the scalloped edge around your compass/ star. How is that going to fit together?

distelfliege said...

Congrats on finishing the irish chain and on the cool parrot who is with you :)

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Love the Mariner's Compass. I tackled one for the first time last month and loved how it looks. Your DD is just adorable as a parrot....
cheers, QGB

Joy said...

Your mariners compass block is fabulous ... but that parrot is just adorable!!! You did a great job :o).

Karol-Ann said...

Wow! What a cute parrot!! So clever to be different! great block too (but I couldn't see the feather LOL)

VerrySherry said...

oh! that parrot was so adorable!! And I love teh mariner's star--you are so creative wow, what an artist!

Kim said...

Your Mariners Compass is excellent! Are you going to show us the finished Irish Chain? Little Parrot Girl is darling, such a pretty girl. I have a pink boa, too. Fun fun fun! :)

Catherine said...

Love the Pirates Parrot....very original! Your Mariner's Compasss looks great! Cathy

Karol-Ann said...

Aha! Now I see it LOL!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Oh what a cute parrot. And a cute idea. Darling girl. The medallion is lovely. Paper pieced! Ick - I do it but hate it. Yours is so nice - mariner's compass - I can see it.

Katherine said...

Great parrot costume! What a cutie!

Oh my, your mariner's compass is stunning. Please tell me it's easier to put piece than it looks?!

Karen Dianne Lee said...

You skill over takes me. I'm in awe of your mariners compass. Very cool. Very cool indeed.

Diane said...

"Sew" adorable!

julieQ said...

Very lovely mariner's compass block. These are not so easy! But so worth it...