Saturday, August 30, 2008

Have you missed me?

From London one weekend to Scotland the next...We have traveled up and down the country and We have seen the M6 from jct 1 to jct 44 in both directions! (I can take that off my to-do list!) Our destination in Scotland was the beautiful Loch Lomond to witness the wedding of two dear friends. And as Scotland is a good 6 hours from here (thanks to Google maps directions) we decided to stretch out the journey stopping at Lancaster on the trip there and Kendal on the way back.

As Morecambe Bay was close to Lancaster we headed there to eat our sandwiches on the seaside. It was a little bit windy..ok it was a LOT windy and cold, but it was still fantastic to be by the sea looking over to the Lake District mountains in the distance.

Thanks to a huge mountain silhouette we could just about figure out the names of the peaks...that and have a great time playing hide and go seek!










So what else is there to see in Morecambe Bay...well if you are an Antique enthusiast there is a Huge Antique market and for the book enthusiast there is the most amazing book store! Think Harry Potter and book store and you have The Old Pier Book Store. Every surface had books and there were rooms upon rooms of books. Books over doors, books piles in corners...heck even the fellow at the cash was surrounded by books. I have never seen anything like it in my life and I could have spent hours perusing the books...but alas I had the DD2 with me and just as I was selecting a 1956 copy of a Good Housekeeping cook book I heard those ever familiar words..."Mommy, I need the toilet!"



Here's a picture of the shop...



So armed with reading material we headed up the rest of the M6, Through the Lake District (see next picture) up the M74, through Glasgow (thanks TomTom!) and finally to Luss and Loch Lomond.



Luss and Loch Lomond are so beautiful...just look at these pictures...

The Church



The stain glass in the church



A view looking back at Luss



The beautiful cottages



Quite the idyllic place to get married...look at the happy couple...



And finally I'll leave you with a picture of her flowers...




31 comments:

Anina said...

What a wonderful fun trip! One day I'd love to visit the British Isles and take some road trips.

anne bebbington said...

Love those wedding flowers - the thistle/sea holly? type plant look fabulous against the cream roses.

Kim said...

A wonderful family road trip and gorgeous wedding celebration. Is this the couple that the quilt is meant for? I have missed you! I have been on a quilty road trip, but not nearly so glamorous as your beautiful country side.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

The pictures are so beautiful! You do a fantastic photography job.

Karol-Ann said...

NEXT TIME you're in Kendal, Morecambe or Lancaster...!!!!!
Lovely photos, yes, you were missed!

Christy said...

Looks like a lovely trip! I'd love to find a bookstore like that. You'd probably have to send a search party in for me after a few days. :)

jettstream said...

Scotland may be my favorite place on earth. Thanks for taking me to a part I haven't seen. Beautiful photos.

Wish we could find some thistle when my Campbell daughter finally gets married. Lovely bouquet. Gorgeous couple.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Thanks for taking us along on your trip.I loved the pictures.

anne bebbington said...

Jane - if you like book shops like that you must visit Hay on Wye - the place is awash with them on every corner

ranette said...

Thank you for taking me on a nice little trip this morning. Your pictures are beautiful. I enjoyed it!

Mary said...

WOW, LOVE THE PICTURES!!! THOSE PICTURES OF HOUSES WOULD MAKE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL QUILT!! BRIDE & GROOM LOOK RADIANT AND THE FLOWERS, WELL, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE FLOWERS, ...JUST BEAUTIFUL! Hugs, Mary

blackbearcabin said...

Thank you for sharing your fabulous adventure with us...it looks like you had a blast! What beautiful pictures...but i have to admit the book shop pics were my favorite! Was there any rhyme or reason to the shelving, or was it a crap shoot? Still, i could get happily lost in a shop like that! :)
cheers...and welcome home!
lisajo

Leanne said...

Thanks for taking us on holidays with you.....great photos.

Connie said...

Oh my gosh I would have carried your luggage, pumped the gas, polished your shoes, ironed laundry......anything to get to go on a trip like that! Just simply lovely!! I spent a little time in Scotland on my honeymoon and have always planned to go back. What a wonderful trip you had!!

nicolette said...

Yep we missed you!

What a fabulous trip! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I hope to go on a roadtrip through the UK one day too...!

Connie W said...

I love poking around in used book shops, looks like a great place to be.

distelfliege said...

Looks like a great place to go - scotland. I have friends who love scotland but I've never been there.
It was nice to go through your beautiful pictures!

Nicole said...

Gorgeous photos! Doesn't that cottage make you want to move right in?

Thimbleanna said...

How Beautiful!!! Love the fantastic picture of the bride and groom!

Lynda said...

What! No kilt pictures? You can't beat a picture of a handsome man in a kilt! Glad you had a good time.

Carla said...

Thanks for the vacation!! It brought back fond memories of visiting Scotland. What a beautiful setting for a wedding, too!

Dawn said...

Your pics are soooooo breath-taking. It looks like such a lovely trip.

~The Robin's Nest~ said...

Wow Jane,
Beautiful photography. I loved it all.
Robin~♥

Lyn Briggs said...

Hi Jane
We've only visited UK once, but when we did we spent some time in Morecombe where my husband's uncle lives. We even stayed in a B&B just across the road from the beach. The Lakes District was certainly worth a visit and the scenery was breathtaking.
Lyn

Joyce said...

How beautiful! That bookstore looks like a little bit of heaven to me.

Katherine said...

All your gorgeous photos have me wanting to make this trip, Jane. Wow! That bookstore looks like a real treat to explore.

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures in words and photos.

Carin said...

Beautiful pictures! I would love that book store, the church is breathtaking the couple looks so happy.

jovaliquilts said...

Loved the photos, what a place to get married! We were in Loch Lomond 8 years ago, stayed in Inverness, everything was so beautiful. But one of my favorite parts of the trip was listening to people talk -- such amazing cadence to their speech, such fabulous accents! It was wonderful.

andsewitis Holly said...

England and Scotland looks so beautiful. I would love to visit someday. You take the nicest pictures. Thought the refrigerator door covers made from fabric quite clever.

MARCIE said...

What an amazing blog you have! Your photography is awesome and your detailing is so cool! Plus, I would love to visit those places! Beautiful!

Diane said...

Glorious photos!