Sunday, August 10, 2008

Got the girls stitching...

Nothing makes me happier than when my girls take an interest in what I'm making. Normally it's a "ah that's nice mom..." or "is it for me mom?" But this week, both girls asked if they could do some stitching! So I dug out some plain fabric and my embroidery floss and we got creating.

The DD1 wants to make some bibs for her teacher who is expecting...so she drew some designs on paper then transfered them to the fabric.


DD2 decided that her first attempt would be freehand. I figure at age 5 just getting the needle to go up and down through the fabric would be an achievement...Imagine my surprise that she stitched "I Love You"



Feeling inspired by her domestic skills...DD1 decided we needed cupcakes. (No complaints here)



After completing her design the DD2 thought it should be made into a quilt. So I got my bin of 2" strips and allowed her free choice. It was her idea that the 4 sides would be colour co-ordinated! I was really impressed with that as I would have just gone scrappy...



I'm so proud of them both. I had a super day sharing my skills with them and I think they just might have gotten bitten by the sewing bug. Happy Day!

25 comments:

willywagtail said...

Terrific work girls! What a clever girl to do freehand work and I just love the little quilt. Cherrie

Vicki W said...

What a lovely day and what sweet girls!

Inger said...

Your girl are very clever, and I hope that it will go on. It is so nice when they have some interest in doing things. Have a nice week.

Suzanne said...

Hello I hope you dont mind me coming by your blog. Love what I see here and your 2 girls are so talented, they could give me some lessons.

Stina said...

Love the girls work...
It´s so fun sharing in the sewingroom...Hmm but I have given up hope on my girls... they are 20 and 22 !!! :0) but I hope for someday...!!

Karol-Ann said...

Fantastic! They are both so clever! Well done to Mum too!!

Chookyblue...... said...

fab sewing by the girls...........so nice we get to share it with them......

jovaliquilts said...

Absolutely too wonderful! Your kids are definitely well on their way. It's great that you gave them free reign and let their creativity shine through!

And I love "spit happens"!

Connie W said...

This post just warmed my heart :D

katelnorth said...

great work - I'm very impressed. :)

Tammy said...

Lucky you! Out of 7 daughters, so far, I only have one who has been bitten by the bug. I still have some hope though.

lovestitches said...

What talented girls you have!! And wow, such perfect cupcakes!

Sarah Jayne said...

You must all be very pleased with what you've all made.

Gina said...

What a great day you had. Gemma has no interest in sewing. Her attitude is why should she when she's got me to do it for her. She does like to do beading though so she's doing something creative

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Katherine said...

Just lovely! What talented girls you have, Jane. It's always exciting to see the creativity blossom in our children especially in areas that we ourselves enjoy. I look forward to seeing what else your girls get to making.

blackbearcabin said...

how awesome that your girls enjoy sewing! i hope my daughter gets into it when she is older...right now she enjoys looking at my button collection, so who knows :)
those cupcakes look very fancy...care to share the recipe? :)
cheers~
lisajo

Katie said...

What a wonderful job they are doing! Congratulations Mom. :-D

Kim said...

This was a delicious day. Sweet stitching, quilts and cupcakes. Love the creativity of young girls. So dear. Wonderful that you helped them jump right in, apparently they have been taking lessons over your shoulder. :)

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Like mother, like daughter!

andsewitis Holly said...

Talent definitely runs in the family. Nice work. I love your sweet handquilting in the Irish Chain.

Thimbleanna said...

Ha! They're little chips off the old block. What cute pictures!

YankeeQuilter said...

What great projects from both of your girls! Definitely looks like they both got the "bug."

Shasta said...

You have such a beautiful blog with wonderful pictures. And to top it off you have time to teach your kids how to quilt and do handwork and bake cupcakes!

Lisa said...

I love to see pictures like this with youngsters taking an interest in crafting. Cupcakes look yummy too!

Lynda said...

What clever girls you have! DD2's writing skills are very impressive - most children of her age can't write with a pencil, never mind with stitches!