Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I saved a bird...

A little bird story (Vicki you'll like this one)

Today is Wednesday and as Winnie the Pooh put it best...it should be called Windnesday! :o) The weather has been very changeable and blustery. Not good weather for baby birds to test out their wings...so this little chap found out.



I work at a nursery 2 lunch hours a week and today, by some miracle I was in the right place at the right time to see this little fellow fall from the sky and land in the middle of running children. Using my teacher voice I shouted, "STOP" and the children did just that...for once they listened! :o) So I scooped this little fellow up and hoped that he would try and fly away, but instead he cheeped and flew onto my shirt. Obviously he knew a good thing we he saw it and wasn't interested in leaving the safety of my hands...With 14 children all milling about, I can't blame him. As we couldn't see where the nest was, nor could we see or hear a mother I decided to take him home.

After a quick call to a local vet and a photo shoot (for the blog of course) and I was off to take him to his new home. Apparently one of the nurses takes in orphan birds and already has 3 blackbirds and a green finch so he will make friends I'm sure.

All's well that ends well.



Oh I forgot to say...it's a baby pied wagtail.

13 comments:

méri said...

:)
lovely!

anne bebbington said...

Well what a good job he flew into your playground - you're a hero!

Catherine said...

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing!
Lucky for that little bird you were there at the exact right moment!

Vicki W said...

I DO love that story!

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a cute story - glad the little bird is being taken care of. I wouldn't have known what to do.

Ginger_Curls said...

Awww, he's lovely. Isn't it amazing that sometimes, when you really need them to, children do actually do as you ask them.

Connie said...

Jane, you are a gal after my own heart! I rescued a small sparrow once from the hot black top parking lot of a local store. Took it home, fed it, taught it to fly (now THAT was an adventure) and eventually set him free. We called him E.T. (like the movie) and the only skill he never quite picked up was grooming his feathers--we swear he came back to the picnic bench in the back yard for a few years afterward as there was a sparrow who looked all disheveled and would let you get soooo close to him it was really unusual. I love birds--you did a very kind thing saving that little guy!

Shar said...

Awww what a sweet little birdie. It's wonderful how you helped!!

loulee1 said...

Aw, sweet. Good thing you were there.

jovaliquilts said...

What a very sweet story! And wonderful that the kids got to see you rescue the bird.

Carin said...

what an adorable little bird. I am so glad you were in the right place.

amanda said...

Hi Jane, thanks for sharing the sweet little bird story with us. It bought back many a memory of my own "rescues" when I was young.

jillquilts said...

Very cool story! This might be my favorite blog post of the week! :)