Sunday, June 29, 2008

Car boot fun...

This morning was a perfect morning to venture out to the car boot. For any of you that might be local I highly recommend the one at Crick, Northants as it is usually full of people, goodies and great finds. :o)

Here's what I got:


It does need a new strap and pins, but I just thought it was really pretty. You might find it odd that I took a liking to a watch with a North American Indian head on it...but it reminded me of the test pattern they used to put on the TV screens in Canada after the channel would go off the air. Anybody else remember that?



This book is such a find!! There are some fabulous recipes in it including 2 sourdough recipes that take 4 days to make and use the natural wild yeast in the air...sounds gross but I bet it will taste fab!


And lastly but not least...100% cotton. The shirt was originally 50p, but I pointed out the seams were gone under the arms could I have it for 25p and she said yes...BARGAIN!
The 3 men's shorts were £1 each, but I asked for a discount as I was buying all 3 of them...there is a lot of fabric in those shorts...definitely a good buy....cheaper than what I'd pay at the quilt shop for similar fabric.

We all came away with something. The DH found some books and my DD1 got a 1951 version of Monopoly. It's not quite a full set in that it's missing some houses and the player pieces, but all the money, the properties and rules are there and it will be good enough to teacher her how to play. It was worth the gamble at 50p.


14 comments:

anne bebbington said...

Good boot sale bargains - never thought about clothing (but then that's not surprising as we seldom if ever frequent them as DH thinks they're full of people selling knocked off goods - slightly misguided my beloved! :o) My little one loves monopoly too that is when she can persuade anyone else in the house to sit down long enough to play it with her

anne bebbington said...

I've just looked at the lovely green and red stripe at the bottom of the photo and was going to comment on how nice that fabric was until I remembered that it's the lovely new sofa in your extension - duhhhh!

Christy said...

Oh, I love that watch! At that price, I wouldn't pass it up either. The book looks lovely too.

lovestitches said...

20p for the very cool looking bread book is worth the whole trip but finding the rest of those bargains makes it even better!

Carin said...

I have learned another new term! We would call it a swap meet here in the states. The cotton in those shirts and shorts is great! I really like your watch too.

VerrySherry said...

great shopping!

Karen Dianne Lee said...

What a fun outing! Lots of goodies to share - especially the shirts!

méri said...

I came to seng you great hug on Canada Day!

méri said...

To send, of course!(i'm blushing)

andsewitis Holly said...

Whoohooo - great finds.

Katherine said...

Great finds, Jane! I bet you can guess which ones really caught my eye... yep, those plaids. What will you be making with them?

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

As a passionate op shoppers i can only say, well done Jane!! the shirts were really great and make such lovely cosy quilts. My boy would flip over the watch, workingor not working!
we grew up Monopltyoholics and spent may winter holidays not getting out of the jammies over monoploy games.Tracey

amandajean said...

I like your new fabrics!

Quilting Diva said...

Oh yah, I remember that. I'd stare at it for a while after it would go off the air, the sound was annoying though.