Thursday, June 12, 2008

The blog post that brought the ambulance out!

I had NO idea that blogging could be hazardous to your health....ok, really in my case it was just coincidence...but I've had one heck of an evening and it all started as I was writing a blog post...

I've had a reasonably normal day, well the normal rushing about that you have as a Mom, when while I was writing a post I had the most bone crushing pain in my chest. I kinda thought...it will pass, but 10 minutes later I couldn't carry on typing and I was pacing trying desperately to get the pain to stop. By the time my DH got home about 15 minutes later I was seriously scared and seriously in pain and we called the paramedics. I couldn't decided if I was having a heart attack, but I wasn't going to take any chances. If there was one thing I learnt when I took my first aid course is that the paramedics would rather come out and be sure that it's "nothing" than to come out to something which was left too late.

Can I just say that I'm really impressed with the guys in green! My DH was on the phone barely a minute when I could hear the siren coming down the road and he had barely hung up when they were marching up to the door! Top guys!! ...So there I was with the roast chicken burning in the oven when they hooked me up to the machine that tells you if your heart is ok...and thankfully I was told my heart is very healthy! PHEW! So what was causing all the pain? They really couldn't pin point it, so they recommended a trip to our local hospital. Luckly this was all happening as the neighbours were coming home and my gem of a friend next door came in a took over feeding my kids my burnt, but still edible roast chicken so we could go to the hospital. We didn't wait long and a simple examination revealed that the pain was muscular. I probably overdid it at work or perhaps it was when I was hoofing the groceries around and caused the joints in my rib cage to spasm. I'm still very sore and will need to keep topped up on paracetamol, but at least I know it is nothing serious.

So on the the post that started it all!



The "Ambulance" Post

Lynda and I belong to a group called Flutterwheels. We meet every 2 months with 7 other ladies to explore different techniques. The year out theme is stars...you can see January's block HERE and March's block HERE.

This month's block is a 8 pointed star with the dreaded Y seam...the colours selected were bright pink and cream. I thought the block went together very well and I'm really pleased with the results.



So next month I'm writing our instructions..and I'm going to show them how to do this choppy star which is similar to the ones I was playing with back HERE.



Well with all the excitement tonight, I think it's time for bed.

TTFN


26 comments:

Dandelion Quilts said...

Glad you are alright, Jane. Speaking from a family history of heart disease, that can be pretty scarey! Your stars are so cool. THEY look perfect. Perhaps someday you'll do a web tutorial for the rest of us! Wowsers!

Vicki W said...

Wow, that was some excitement! glad you are OK. I hope that blogging isn't what strained your muscles!

Chookyblue...... said...

thank goodness all is fine..........

Sweet P said...

I'm glad to hear you're alright. I have had those chest muscle spasms and they are the worst ones to have. I hope you're better soon.

Your blocks are great! I love all of them.

Anina said...

Oooh, scary! I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.
I love stars and your DJ blocks are so pretty!

lovestitches said...

oh yikes, be careful!! Reassuring to find out the ambulance is that fast though I guess!

jillquilts said...

What a scare! I am glad that you are OK! Love the blocks!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

What a scare, so glad you are OK....your stars are brilliant...

jovaliquilts said...

Whoa -- scarey! Glad you called the paramedics. That y-seam, 8-pointed star looks fabulous!

Anita said...

Oh my goodness, frightening! Glad it was nothing serious. I awoke one morning with similar pain in my back nearly unable to move. I hope you are feeling better soon! ...so you can keep on quilting. ;-)

anne bebbington said...

So glad it was nothing serious - you hear lots of things in the media about 5 hr waits for ambulances and the likes but you never hear about the thousands and thousands of successful shouts like your speedy response - funnily enough we had a child at my school yesterday who fell and hurt her arm badly, sufficient to call an ambulance - they were also on the school car park virtually seconds after putting the phone down and this wasn't a possible coronary. Maybe it's a delayed reaction to your tiling at the weekend too. Great that it was something unpleasant but not serious - the time I had a nasty chest pain I ended up in hospital with pancreatitis and off work for 5 months. Love that crushed raspberry star block - Y seams, clever girl :o)

Lynda said...

Glad this was just a false alarm, Jane. (Could it have been a reside of the tiling exertion coupled with something else?) Glad your star went together so well. It looks great!

Karol-Ann said...

Oh, how awful for you. glad you're ok though! Love your choppy stars!

méri said...

I'm glad you are well!
Take care!
Your work looks great!

Andrea said...

Glad it was a false alarm and you're ok. Who would have guessed blogging was so dangerous - lol !

nicolette said...

Glad you’re OK Jane! You’ve been working so hard, no wonder your muscles are ‘overworked’.
Love your star blocks and the DBJ blocks are both wonderful!

Mad about Craft said...

I am so glad you are alright.

I have lots of contact with the 'boys & girls in green' and 99%of the time they are quick, supportive, helpful and good at their jobs. They do need more praise and less flack.

Connie said...

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious!!!! You've just about given me chest pain with how PERFECT your LeMoyne (8-point) star is! I could not ever get a center to lay that flat short of paper piecing it! VERY nice job!

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

How scary! Glad you are okay. Love the star blocks and your DJ blocks!

Randi said...

Glad it was nothing serious! I have trouble with my rib cage and muscles...it can be excruciating. Take it easy!

andsewitis Holly said...

Your stars are fantastic. I'm glad your scare was just that - a scare and nothing serious.

Kim said...

Indeed, better safe than sorry. Happy to know you are only in major pain, lol, and not having heart issues.

The quilty things are very pretty and so nicely done. You are having a lot of fun quilt activities lately. Nice!

Niki said...

That's scary. Glad you are are OK now. Your star blocks are wonderful.
http://www.nikisventures.blogspot.com

katelnorth said...

Scary, Jane - glad to hear it was nothing major.

Connie W said...

In regards to chest pain it is always best to be checked out. Great news that it was not cardiac pain. Take care. :)

Thimbleanna said...

Whew! Glad you're ok!!!