Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Black Country Living Museum

Ok, so we haven't spent the entire time painting..On Tuesday, in the drizzly rain and cold, we took the kids to the Black Country Living Museum. Set in heart of the Black Country near Dudley Castle, the BCLM will transport you back in time..to a time before technology and indoor plumbing!

It's a Victorian town with all the authentic shops of the time...a sweets shop where you can buy the old candy of the time..pear drops, humbugs and herbal tablets, just to name a few. There is a bakery where you can buy all sorts of yummy cakes or perhaps save yourself for the fish and chip shop where the food is cooked in beef drippings...Yum..bad for your heart, but the best fish and chips I can ever remember tasting.

Everyone is dressed in the clothes of the time and are very knowledgeable. It was a real eye opener to my youngest as she inquired about the dead rabbits in the general store...and found out that rabbits were for eating and not to be kept as pets.
Fortunately no one was around to explain the fate of these little cuties.



We attending a class at the old Victorian school where my eldest was scolded for wearing nail vanish and my youngest has never sat so still for fear of getting the cane! She declared upon leaving the school that she never wanted to go back to that school...EVER! LOL

We also had to opportunity to watch a Charlie Chaplin film in the old 1930's cinema...so different from the block busters of today! I was amazed at the simplicity of the filming and DD1 commented as we leaving that it was full of continuity errors...no fooling today's youth! It was also in the cinema that my favourite quote of the day came from my youngest. As the film started she leaned over and said, "Mummy, I don't think there is any colour in this one!" LOL

As we walked through the different shops and homes, I was on the lookout for anything related to patchwork...it's just a thing I do..I do it when watching movies too ;o)



The Street Bunting



The only bed we saw was in the Toll House. As one lady explained the houses just couldn't take the volume of people going up and down the stairs of these old building as as a result their aren't any bedrooms to see...and therefore not many quilts.



I did see this patchwork pillow in the Chainmaker's House where the lady of the house told it like it was in storybook fashion. Aunt Bessie is a lady not to be messed with and I'm sure would sort any wayward child straight!!

We thoroughly enjoyed our day out..even while we sipped our bitter shandys from the Bottle & Glass Inn in the cold rain!


Now for something a little different... I wanted to share this link to age your photos...the webpage isn't in English, but it's pretty self explanatory as to what buttons to push to get the desired results.

Have a look at this...



Looks pretty good eh?

TTFN



8 comments:

Clare said...

Amazing! The Victorian age has always fascinated me, even though it was a hard life. That is what happens to the rabbits here. Definitely not bred as pets!

Thanks for the link to the photo site.

Julie said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Everytime we go to a museum or historical area, I too look for old quilts--love, love, love them. I will have to go to the photo web-site. That is neat!! I enjoyed your blog--I will be back.

Connie said...

What a wonderful visit--I love taking peeks back in time like that! I envy you the fish and chips and the shandy!!! Sounds completely tasty! Thx. for the cool link, too!

loulee1 said...

I do that too, not just quilt spotting but anything stitchy.

Kieny said...

Thanks for the tour and the stories I enjoyed it.

anne bebbington said...

I smiled at your little one's comment about the film not being in colour - it reminded me of an observation made by my nephew (heading for Uni in September) when he was a little dot and used to be looked after by my newly retired dad when his mum worked part-time. On seeing that Grandad had selected a 1940's war film for the afternoon's tv viewing he chipped in 'Oh No! Not another of Grandad's grey films' Out of the mouths of babes eh? I've never been to the Black Country museum but one of the children has on a school trip from Gloucester and thoroughly enjoyed it - on a par with Beamish I believe.

Mad about Craft said...

I've been to Beamish open air museum in the North East and to St Fagan's in South Wales but I've never been to the Black Country museum. I only said to my God-daughter today how much I would like to go there (we were visiting Anderton boat lift centre at the time)

Karol-Ann said...

Sounds like a great day out. Pity they don't teach like that anymore LOL
Amazing how that photo looked so approriately aged like that.