Tuesday, April 29, 2008

One week on..and some quilting...

Onwards and upwards goes the extension! We are one week on into the build and I've been told that the bricklayers are almost finished their bit and that they will be starting the roof soon....are you enjoying the step-by-step progression?



I've also been working on this little quilt top for Project Linus. I'm so pleased how the feathers have transformed the plain centre. I'm sure it will be well liked by someone.



To create the feathers, I drew one corner of the square on paper and marked the centre point of each side. I then drew a freehanded vine from centre point to centre point. Then using a template I added the feathers on both sides. When I transferred the design onto the top I used my pattern in all four corners making the design continuous. I hope that makes sense..if not I've added a picture of my paper design in hopes to clarify.

TTFN


17 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

That is a sweet Project Linus quilt. And to hand quilt it will make it very special.

Elaine Adair said...

That's some excellent stitching! Great job!

Anina said...

I love seeing building projects progress. Very exciting!

Fiona said...

I love feathers but I've never tried them by hand or machine - maybe one of these days... The extension is coming along very quickly - it's great to be able to have your sewing machine up permanently.

cathicrafts said...

I love the quilting design you did! I am going to have to try some freehand feathers on my next handquilting!

jovaliquilts said...

Beautiful -- that really does transform the center! Do you hand quilt the whole quilt, or just the parts that really show off the quilting?

Karol-Ann said...

Oooooo! Love those feathers!

Verry Sherry said...

Love the effect of the feathering. I will have to give that a go!
thx

anne bebbington said...

amazing how quickly builders can get on with this isn't it? gorgeous feathers and lovely neat stitching

YankeeQuilter said...

The feathers look wonderful. It is always fun to watch building projects progress...particularly if they are ahead of schedule! (and when the mud isn't being tracked across your own rug!)

loulee1 said...

The work is certainly progressing, yours and theirs. Though I guess all the rain will slow them a little, I hope it stops soon.

Robson & Mason Haberdashery said...

OOOh what a lovely blog to stumble across!

Lovely!!!

méri said...

Thanks for sharing! I love the feathers

Leanne said...

loving the progress reports just waiting for the snap of the tardis teleporting away LOL. The feathers are great I struggle with free hand drawing.... stick figures challenge me.

Carin said...

Jane your feathers are AWESOME!!!

Lynda said...

Looks fabulous to me! How did you mark the feathers? Pencil?

Nicole said...

Your hand quilting is so beautiful Jane!