Friday, April 18, 2008

A couple of days at the sewing machine...

Everything, as you can imagine, has been put on hold for weeks and once Monday came and went I really wanted to get some things accomplished. Apart from some rather mundane things, like laundry and cleaning, I wanted some time at my sewing machine. Like many of you, I fine sewing very therapeutic and I knew getting a few things made would sooth my soul.

Yesterday, I made my April bag for BQL. I decided to omit the wadding and make it more of a floppy bag that can be added to the collection that make the weekly trip to Sainsbury's. The fabrics I used are a heavier weight than regular cotton and gave the bag some shape. The other nice advantage to this fabric is that my eldest DD really dislikes it...which means she wont steal it from me :o)

Today, I sewed together my star block for my Flutterwheels group using the technique described in Nancy Johnson-Srebro's book Stars by Magic. The technique is very clever, but it is a bit tedious. I've only ever made one or two blocks using her method..not sure if I'd make a whole quilt this way.

While I was at it, I made three little Linus quilts for the neo-natal unit. Two are like the red one and the other is made from the by-products of my star block. There are only small so they went together very fast and I should get them completed easily.

I'm feeling better now that I've done some sewing...more like myself.

Thanks for listening,

10 comments:

Linda said...

I love your bag Jane, such pretty fabrics, and how nice that your dd dislikes it *s*. Glad you're starting to feel a little better.

Anina said...

That's very, very impressive! Everything looks great, especially that star block. Wow!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Your BQL Bag looks gorgeous - I need to get busy on mine .... I too won't be using batting and it's nice to see that it will still look really nice. I might pick up some pretty twill or printed denim for mine.

andsewitis Holly said...

I love the fabric for that bag. What does BQL stand for? A different bag every month is such a great idea. I'm a bag addict. :-)

Karol-Ann said...

Don't remind me! I need to do mine. I am short of wadding, but perhaps I don't need any after all... Your bag is gorgeous as is your star and your Linus quilts. You have been busy - so pleased!

Thimbleanna said...

I'm not familiar with the technique that you mentioned, but it looks really accurate from here. Very pretty!

i'm kelly said...

dear jane... thank you so much for your sweet sweet comments on my blog today. i am so sorry to hear about your loss, i can't even imagine what you are going through. tie that knot & hold on tight - you are going to get through this.

and btw your bag and quilts are beautiful. i love your work.

anne bebbington said...

When there's discord in our house or lots of stress playing on the family my dh always criticises me for losing myself in my sewing and letting the world go round me - what he actually doesn't realise is that if I can get my head down and create something - it only has to be something small - then I can face all the other things that life might throw at me. Like many of us I also find stitching a great calmer - glad you're getting back into your groove Jane.
Must do my April bag too - that was going to be a task for the fortnight's break - now I'd better get my skates on, like the idea of no wadding, I might well have some curtain fabric somewhere to use up which will make mine an addition to my supermarket hoard

Dandelion Quilts said...

Loving all that hardwork. Come on over, I am having a giveaway.

loulee1 said...

You've been stitching up a storm. I love the bag, very fresh.