Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Shaken not Stirred...

...but awoken...

By now you've probably heard the news that most people in the UK felt the earth move last night due to a 5.2 earthquake; me included. I was first starting to wake up when I heard a low rumble that was far too loud to be a truck followed quickly by the bed moving side to side. At first I was trying to determine what the DH was doing to move the bed when just as I was coming to my senses I could hear the glasses downstairs clinking together. I sat bolt upright and declared with conviction that it was an earthquake!!! Then the shaking stopped, the rumble filtered away and I was left thinking that it really felt like it had rippled through the house like a wave. My DD1 came into our room looking rather rattled as she had only just blown her nose as the rumble and shaking occurred...I told her that she shouldn't blow her nose so hard!!! LOL The other DD2 slept through it. I was feeling half scared but half excited as I've never experienced an earthquake. Normally I sleep right through them! And once I was actually underground on the metro system in Montreal when one occurred. That was strange, because as I surfaced into the crowds everyone was talking about it...and of course I had missed it. We were lucky this time in that were only were left with our stories of moving beds...but I know others further north weren't so lucky and had more damage. They (the experts) say we could get an after shock in the next day or two...we'll have to wait to see of they are right.

TTFN

16 comments:

jeanette said...

Earthquake? Uuuuh... I didn´t know that happens in UK.
Be careful when you blow your noses :))

Anina said...

That's so scary! I hope you're feeling a little calmer today. Aftershocks are fortunately normally lighter than the original quake.

Doodlebug Gail said...

I read about that ..... rather you than me. Scary - take care and I hope the after shock is just that .... a small after shock.

paula, the quilter said...

I suppose that earthquakes can happen anywhere. We have even gotten them here in Colorado, US.

Kim said...

Hang on to your socks! Not one earthquake happened while I stayed in CA...I was almost disappointed.

Marcia said...

Scary. I'm glad you are all okay.

Gina said...

I slept through it aswell. Apparently it was felt in Wales aswell.

love and hugs xxx

loulee1 said...

The Isle of Man got it too. It woke me up too. What a strange feeling!

Karol-Ann said...

I heard about it, it's amazing! Glad you're all ok.

Libby said...

I did hear of the quake in the UK, and I was quite surprised to know that they occurred there. Here near the San Andreas fault, we are constantly aware that one could hit. Hope you continue to fare well if any aftershocks should come your way.

Christy said...

Wow Jane! Glad to hear you're all okay. My MIL has been nervous about quakes when she visits us in California. I'll have to give her a call and see what she thinks about feeling earthquakes in Stafforshire!

blackbearcabin said...

i grew up in Los Angeles, and remember quakes well! :)
after shocks are creepier...as they just kind of roll in and out all day, making the earth feel unstable. Glad everyone is okay :)

Connie said...

How unusual! I had no idea there were any fault lines that were active in the UK! I went to university in central IL (there is a fault line there) and one time we had a quake. It jiggled the spice jars on the back of the stove and knocked some pics off the walls. the oddest thing was how WEIRD our pets acted right before the shaking started! Glad everyone is OK!!

YankeeQuilter said...

The earthquake was all they could talk about on the radio. We must have been out of the area down here in Gloustershire. They are very scary...once in California the hotel shook so much I made them move me to a lower floor (who wants to be on the 12th floor for the aftershocks!)
Sio

Valerie said...

That sounds so scary. Glad you are all ok. We will pray for you.

Katie said...

Wooo, scary. I felt a couple of rumbles in NJ and that was enough for me!