Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bitten by the Stitchery Bug?

It seems where ever you look someone is talking about some stitchery they have completed. There are several designers out there with beautiful patterns...Leanne Beasley, Cinderberry Stitches and Moore Patchwork and Quilting...just to name a few. Then there is all the talent on blogs...Our own British Anne has been working on a beautiful quilt (scroll down to the bottom of the post) and there's Rose in Australia that has been working on some beautiful blocks for her quilt.
So what's a girl to do when she sees all the inspiration...but to dive in and have a go.
I have to admit that I dove in kicking and screaming. Can you remember the gingerbread men quilt? Well I struggled and cursed my way through stitching the eyes and mouths...hated every minute of it and vowed that I couldn't do embroidery.
This is so typical of me...I will fight and refuse to try new things and normally the things I fight against most are the things I ended up trying and liking! I did this with hand quilting, appliqué and driving a car!! LOL and now stitchery...
Well I guess what made all the difference was some encouraging words...you know who you are and realizing that you stitch with 2 strands of floss not 6 (like I did on the gingerbread!!) and that the trick to nice straight lines is the backstitch (not the stem stitch) and that if you go through the same hole you've made from the previous stitch you get nice straight lines without gaps.
I found a bit of clipart I thought would translate nicely into stitchery, enlarged it slightly and used a light pencil to draw the design on my fabric..(is that what everyone else does?) and then got started. I've got a couple more I'm going try as they seem to stitch up quick...so watch this space...(oh what have I started!!!)

Thanks for all the inspiration folks!!

11 comments:

loulee1 said...

How dainty Jane. I've been toying with the idea of doing some more stitchery, your post today has added inspiratio.

Doodlebug Gail said...

That's so pretty. I love doing stitcheries and yes I too am almost addicted to them. You see, I can't sit and do nothing, my hands need to busy and these little projects are perfect for that. Your project looks lovely and I'll be back to see what else you're doing with it.

Katherine said...

Very, very pretty, Jane! Glad the stitchery bug got you as you seem to have the knack for it.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, look what you've gone and done now! Isn't it fun? Great job, yours is so cute. I love doing embroidery. Oh, and yes, I do like you said and use light pencil to transfer my designs. Looking forward to seeing more!

FabricMom said...

Very pretty. It is simple and beautiful. Can't wait to see what else you do.

Helen Stubbings said...

Go Jane, stitcheries are so therapeautic to do. Yes I use a light box and a soft mechanical pencil to trace if I dont have an iron on transfer. Happy stitching, Hugs Helen

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Jane your stitchery is just lovely...you go girl...

anne bebbington said...

Knew you'd get hooked! Your design is lovely - I always use a pigma pen for my designs but only because I'd be frightened of smudging pencil although I know a lot of people use a propelling pencil - as for the stitching I use a split back stitch where you actually put your needle in through the previous stitch rather than the hole at the end of it

Allison said...

Oh - how lovely! Yup, I am definitely catching the stitchery bug (again!)

lovestitches said...

Yay, a new embroiderer! The design and stitching are both great. I use a trasnfer pencil and baking paper to iron on a transfer I've traced onto the paper. Or else I use my awesome vanishing pen. But everyone has something that works for them.

andsewitis Holly said...

Bit by the stitchery bug, are you? I love stitchery more than quilting. It was my first love although I haven't done much of it of late. Have fun!