Sunday, January 13, 2008

Starch Basting Tutorial

I wanted to share with you my recent discovery of starch basting for appliqué. This method could easily be used for either machine or hand appliqué. I found it much easier than the glueing method that I have been using for awhile...and much much cleaner! This works for me I take no responsibility for burnt fabric or fingers!! All pictures should be clickable for a larger view.

You will need spray starch or fabric finish, a paintbrush, a hot iron (I've used a travel iron...though you could use a clover mini iron) and freezer paper.

Spray a little starch into the lid.

Draw your appliqué shapes onto the dull side of the freezer paper. (remembering to mirror image any directional objects) Lay a second layer of freezer paper underneath..shiny side down and iron together fusing the 2 layers together with a hot iron. This gives the freezer paper a bit more body. It not only gives you a better edge to fold the fabric against, but it means you can use the template more than once.

Cut out your shapes on the line you've drawn.

Iron your shape onto the wrong side of your fabric

Cut around the shape leaving a scant 1/4" seam allowance.

Paint a small amount of starch in the seam allowance.

Use a hot iron and your finger tips to push the seam allowance against the edge of the template, easing the fabric onto the back of the freezer paper. Use the iron to dry the starch and in doing so the fabric will stay in place.

Points! This is my way of doing points...works for me. I fold the edge over so the fold lines up with the edge of the template then I fold it over to the back....if you have a look at the pictures..it might make sense :o)

Once you've gone all around your shape. Leave to cool a bit and then pull the freezer paper out. The fabric will hold the shape and you can then use the template again. I've used mine up to about 10-15 times before they need replacing.

Now you piece is ready to appliqué!

22 comments:

Patti said...

I tried this one in a class with Jo Morton using heat resistant template plastic. I found it less than satisfactory - but it was the plastic that was giving me grief for the most part. I also was using my Clover mini iron and it just didn't seem to get hot enough. One of these days I'll have to try it again using the freezer paper. Great photo tutorial Jane!

Kathie said...

Great tutorial Jane, I am going to have to try this someday.
thanks for all the pictures, I am a visual person so it really helped!
Kathie

Libby said...

This is a great method for applique prep . . . instead of using the spray starch, I buy the concentrate(Vano) and make my own mixture that I store in a little bottle - a little less expensive and I can control a light or heavy starch.

Anina said...

I read "stash bashing tutorial" and thought, "I NEED to see this!". But I needed to see the starch basting one too. I'll have to try this. Thanks!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- thanks Jane! I do the freezer paper method, but I hand baste the edges down. I'd really like to try this starch method -- it would certainly be faster!

Kim said...

This is my favorite method! I taught some quilters how to do this at a quilter's group last night. They had never heard of it. Your tutorial is remarkably well done!!

Christine said...

Thanks for the tutorial - I have only ever done button-hole stitch applique. I will certainly be trying out your method. Thanks again.

Karen said...

Good directions. I will give it a try.

Katherine said...

Great tutorial, Jane. I've never tried this method, but armed with the photos and your step by step directions, I think I'll have to try this myself!

Lynda said...

This is a great method for doing applique, as it allows you to move the pieces (once they're prepared) around on the background, and you can see exactly what they wil look like. I've used this method myself quite a lot and think it's great.

Connie said...

Great pictures--thanks so much for the lesson! I have not tried this method before but definitely will be brave enough to try it now!

Carole said...

I have yet to try the method! I certainly will soon enough! Thanks for the tutorial! Keep well!

FabricMom said...

What a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing this method. I will have to try it.

blackbearcabin said...

wow...ive been wanting to give applique a try, and this makes a lot of sense to me...looks like i might have to give it a go :)
thanks for taking the time to create the photo for a tutorial...its very well done!
lisajo

julieQ said...

That is exactly the way I do all my applique! Works great, you can get lots of pieces ready, then just lay them down and enjoy stitching. I love this technique. Great tutorial!

everythingquilts said...

Wonderful tutorial. I wondered how they turned their edges so perfectly. Hope I can remember where I found this when it comes time for it.

LynCC said...

OK, this is seriously easier than what I was doing before! LOVE IT!! So easy to pop a few basting glue dots onto the seam allow and stick the prepared pieces down where I want to sew them, too. :D

Patt said...

Thank you so much for the instructions as I am not good with just being told (as my friend frequently finds out). I didn't catch the DOUBLE freezer paper part and said that I would probably wind up unknowingly folding the freezer paper on the edge so nixed the idea. I may try this now.
First time on your site and will bookmark it.

Linda said...

I tried for my first app. block it turned out ok but then the second block I tried some new ways. Like not clipping the edges on the curve, keeping the iron on longer to hold everything down.

Cindy Jo said...

Thank you very much! I love applique but was afraid of it and the folding under and getting it right. I think, with this method, I can actually do it right and not be afraid of applique anymore.

Deborah Mitchell said...

Ooooh,this is what is meant by freezer paper & starch method. The first tutorial that I have understood.
Thank you.

The Chronic Painkiller said...

thank you so much for this - its really helped me applique down a sharp corner I was struggling with