Thursday, January 03, 2008

Phew...Got that out of my system...

Do you ever get an idea in your head and then you just can't shake it until you've stitched it out of your system?

A few weeks ago I found a German pattern for some strangely pieced stars on their Sulky Website (under Tipps & Anleitungen, then the sub menu called Weihnachten and then the bottom pattern Quilt "Weihnachtliche Winter Welt") I couldn't read it, but I could get the general idea from the pictures. I also suspected they are put together in the same fashion as the Buggy Barn Crazy Stars which a few people have blogged about...so I had a faint idea how they might be pieced. Well Christmas was approaching which meant I couldn't explore the method any further and then I got sick with a fever and the idea just kept coming back, almost haunting me!! Just what did the German pictures mean? Would my interpretation of them work? Well finally last week I got to play with some scraps and work out how these stars would be put together...and that working on a larger scale would be easier than the 5" scraps I was playing with! So armed with 12 fat quarters (6 dark and 6 light) I started play. Here are 2 of the finished blocks...a bit wonky, but they were great fun to make. They finished larger than I thought so I will probably split them into 2 groups for 2 quilts...time will tell.



5 comments:

Leanne said...

I know what you mean if I get something in my head and can't work it out it drives me crazy(well more crazy) The stars look good.

Juliann in WA said...

Love those wonky stars.

Libby said...

The stars look great . . . glad you found a way to work it out.

Andrea said...

This is uncanny ! I too was obsessed with having a go at some wonky stars and tried them myself. I was a bit too adventurous though and tried to do each star with 7 or 8 colours. They were a disaster and ended up being unpicked and put in my scrap basket. They were so bad my son couldn't stop laughing at them - little beggar - lol !

Kim said...

Ditto!