Saturday, December 29, 2007

A week in review and a bag!

Just a few days until the New Year, so this just might be my last post of 2007.

We've had a most unusual Christmas in that 3 out of 4 of us have been ill with one of the worst colds. I started with the sniffles and runny eyes last weekend and just managed to return to normal in time to cook Christmas Eve dinner. Then on Christmas Day my eldest DD came down with it and she spent most of the day with her eyes closed...let's put it this way, she asked me to re-wrap her gifts as she doesn't really remember opening them! We just managed to get her into an upright position to go to Stoke-on-Trent for Boxing day and the 27th to see the relatives and have our Christmas dinner with the in-laws (yummy!) ...all was well until yesterday when my DD2 came down with it....oh well tis the season!

The only silver lining in all of this is that I have had 2 opportunities to sew so far this week (unheard of in a normal Christmas week)
The first time I sat at the sewing machine I was experimenting with some ideas that came to me during the fever I had had on the weekend. I don't know about you, but my best ideas either come to me during a raging fever, during a hangover, or on the toilet!! (My mother would say that is TMI (too much information)...but it might be interesting to see if I'm alone in that one!)
During the second opportunity I sewed together a bag as part of the BQL bag challenge of 2008. It is grocery bag shaped and folds into a pouch. Kate made one too, you can see it here. This bag was good fun to make and will match a bag I made last year.(shown in the bottom pic) The fabric is Alexander Henry Babes on Bikes and I think is fun, fun, fun. My DD1 says I'm only allow to use it when I'm shopping alone! Sheesh!! Doesn't she know fashion when she sees it :o)

Lastly, I just want wish you all a very happy and safe New Year!



15 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

Hope the family is feeling better. The bags are really fun...I have some similar cowgirl fabric that I am determined to make something with someday!

Have a great new year.

Siobhan

Linda said...

Thanks for the early morning giggle, hmm not sure my ideas come while in the bathroom. Usually they come just as my head hits the pillow for the night. Love your bag, and what a party pooper your daughter is telling you, you can only use it when alone. Have a wonderful New Year filled with inspiration.

Suzie Sews said...

HOpe your all feeling a little, well a lot better now, wishing you a blessed New Year

Doodlebug Gail said...

I'm so sorry you've all been ill. Glad you also get good ideas in TMI places - LOL. Your fold-up grocery bag is such a great idea .... could you direct me to where I can get the pattern please? I sure could use some of those.

Kim said...

Biker Babes wins the challenge! Best ideas always come when we are indisposed...can't stop creative thinking, what's a girl to do?

LOL, young daughter will appreciate your fun loving heart when she's older. She probably secretly adores your whimsical ways!

Happy New Year to you!

Norma said...

I love your little bag! Why not have some fun with the fabric? It will be fun to see how many heads turn when you pull out that bag to use it!

paula, the quilter said...

I've had that blasted cold since the Friday before Christmas. My voice still isn't back to normal. Hope you are feeling better. I love the fun, fun fabric in that bag.

Christy said...

Sorry your family's been ill Jane. Hope everyone is on the mend.

I seem to get my ideas at some inopportune times. While driving down the highway. While having my teeth cleaned. Mostly when there isn't a pen or paper anywhere in sight!

Hubby wants to know if you saw the game in Stoke on Boxing Day? We were hoping to visit the family in the UK for Christmas, but just couldn't manage it this year. Hoping to make the trip over the Easter holiday.

Thimbleanna said...

Sorry to hear that you've all been sick -- I hope you're all on the mend now. That fabric is awesome -- I need it LOL! I love to make my boys boxers out of those pin-up girl types of fabrics!

Sarah Jayne said...

I do hope you're all feeling better now.
All the very best to you and your family for 2008.

Lynda said...

Great bags, great fabric, and so sad to have daughters with no taste! Don't they know that parents are put on this earth to embarass their offspring? Go for it, Jane!

Patti said...

Oh Jane - what a sad thing to have so many of you feeling so rotten for the holidays. I hope everyone is much better by now!

Andrea said...

Great fabric - lol !! Kids have no taste :-) Happy New Year Jane.

Raesha D said...

Yes - get well soon!!! I love the little bag - that fabric is so cool!

katelnorth said...

I love this fabric - actually, I love all Alexander Henry stuff. I never bought that biker babes one because I couldn't think what I'd ever do with it...