Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Where did it all begin?

Karol-Ann tagged me to share a bit about myself and my crafting history..or in my case my sewing/quilting history. ..as a result I've changed the questions slightly.
I have to answer them on my blog and then let five other bloggers know that I have tagged them so they can answer the meme too.



1. When did you start to sew?
I inherited my grandmother's sewing machine after she died when I was 19. I didn't have a clue about sewing or even how to even begin. But I thought it can't be too difficult (ha ha) and bought a pattern and some fabric and made a pair of wide legged trousers with an elasticated waist. Clothes making moved into costume making and then in 1994 a friend told me about patchwork quilting using foundation piecing and I thought it would be a great way to use up my scraps. This and my ever changing shape after having my daughter which was making fitting clothes more challenging I left clothes making and moved strictly into quilting.

2. Why did you start sewing?
I've kinda answered that already...I started sewing because I had a sewing machine! Couldn't have it sit there and gather dust! My grandmother was an avid sewer..yeck she even made me underwear...so I guess out of respect for her I wanted to make use of her machine. Interestingly enough I have learnt in recent years that some of my female ancestors were tailoresses ...so maybe it's just in the blood.

3. Why do you sew/quilt?
That's a toughy...I've never stopped to think why I quilt...but I couldn't imagine a day without sewing or reading about quilting (guess that's why I read so many blogs!!) I think I create because it's therapeutic and because I'm good at it. There isn't anything else (other than being a mother) that I have spent this much time learning about and working to improving my skill.

4. What do you make?
Quilts and bags!

5. Has this changed since you began sewing/quilting?
One thing I have learnt about myself in the last few years is that I'm a traditional quilter. I love the old patterns and the old colours. I've done a lot of experimenting with colour and design and have decided that I like going back to basics.

So there you have it!

I'm going to tag Lynda, Kim, Fiona, Linda, and Sarah Jayne


2 comments:

Sarah Jayne said...

I promise I will complete the questions - but I might need a while to have a think.
Thanks for tagging me.

Lynda said...

I was interested to hear that you have tailoresses in your ancestry. My paternal grandmother had been a tailoress, and it was always a nightmare when I made some thing in school sewing classes and Mum would say 'Show your grandma ....' Grandma would immediately turn it inside out and examine (and criticise) the seams!