Friday, October 19, 2007

Turning lemons into lemonade..

...or scraps into blocks. Yesterday turned out to be rather productive in the sewing department. I managed to get the last of my Project Linus gingerbread blocks finished..including their faces! I have decided I really really don't like embroidery of any kind, but was really grateful that Leanne Beasley emailed me a few months ago and told me about the backstitch. It was far easier than stem stitch or chain stitch and worked really well for their mouths.

I also got to start on some Crumb Chaos blocks (as made popular Patti! Thanks Patti!) They are great fun to sew...and I can see why they have been so popular with so many people! As you can see I've stuck to just blues and I'm going to add these to some other scrappy blocks that I made early this year. I'm hoping to get a few more rounds done on them today and post more pictures as I make progress.

As I was stitching away, a lovely package arrived in the post from Kate. I was the lucky winner of her star book giveaway. I've already had a flip through and it's a lovely book with great variations for each star.

Lastly, I wanted to share this picture taken in my garden this morning. (Click on it to see all the detail) I've been in the UK for 6 years and every autumn I'm mesmerized by the spider webs that appear when you get fog or mist in the morning. Just fantastic!

TTFN and have a good weekend!

11 comments:

Susan said...

I love the little gingerbread men! Looking forward to seeing what it looks like all sewn together. Your spiderweb photo is awesome! Have a great weekend.

Vicki W said...

The gingerbread blocks are great! Are they from a specific pattern?

Anina said...

I love the gingerbread blocks. How original you are!

Marcie said...

You have lots of projects going on! I need to try Patti's CC blocks. Hope you are feeling better!

Karol-Ann said...

Definitely lemonade there! Well done to get so much done. It's all looking great.

Fiona said...

I'm not wild about doing embroidery myself, but those gingerbread men are very sweet (forgive the pun). Watch out, now you've started crumb chaos, you won't be able to stop.

katelnorth said...

Glad I had my relatively neat handwriting happening that day :) Glad it got there quickly!

cher said...

well done on your blocks...this is a great time of the year for spotting interesting things outdoors.

Lynda said...

I know what you mean about embroidering the faces on the gingerbread men. Someone offered me a set of completed blocks, saying,'I haven't had chance to do the faces yet. Do you want them now, or shall I do the faces and give you them next time?' I chose the latter! Although once you've made the effort to do the faces, they look great!

anne bebbington said...

Love the gingerbread men - but to me appliqueing them would be so much simpler!

atet said...

Those gingerbread blocks are lovely! Even if you didn't enjoy the embroidery -- they turned out really well! Have fun with the "crumb" blocks as well!