Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Quilting Progess and Your Tips

Just thought I'd share my progress with my Autumn quilt. (sorry the picture is a little dark) It's in the frame and I'm quilting using perle cotton size 8 and the "big" stitch...though it's not always easy to remember to stitch big when you are used to trying to stitch small :o) Many of you some left some great tips in the comments on my previous post on how to mark such a colourful quilt and I thought I'd share them with you as many people don't go back and read the comments. Vicki, Shelina and Anne all suggested using freezer paper or press and seal to make the sunflowers to quilt around..which I have and it's working great! Sarah Jayne reminding me about watercolour pencils for marking on all the different fabrics...which again is working great. And Lynda (Granny K) told me about marking as I go..which so far is working really well too! Patti suggested using a solid coloured backing and marking and quilting from the back...which is a rather clever idea, but as my backing is busy too, it wasn't something I could use on this quilt.
Now all I need is time to actually quilt!

Thanks again to all of you for your advice!

6 comments:

Karol-Ann said...

Can't wait to see it finished! Sorry, I had no clever tips for you :O) (I would be interested to see how the colour pencils wash out for future reference.)

Katie said...

What great tips. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

thanks for stopping by my blog :)
Baptist Fans!!! Wow I never could figure how to mark them either. You quilt is coming along nicely .

Sarah Jayne said...

ngqkfzgGlad to hear you got lots of tips and they were useful. I'm still suprised to find out how many ways there are of doing the same thing.
I also keep meaning to try a cotton perle and big stitches - but I always seem to got back to my scattered seed stitch. I really must give it a go some time.

Marilyn R said...

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog today! I love your quilting ideas. I will be coming back to visit!

Karol-Ann said...

Jane, I've tagged you - hope you don't mind... just ignore it if you don't fancy it :O)