Sunday, October 07, 2007

Basting a Quilt instead of a Canadian Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends! As you all know we don't do Thanksgiving on this side of the Atlantic...but seeing as I'm a Canadian, I had to baste something!!!...so I basted my Autumn quilt. You might remember it from here and here. I decided to baste it using Sharon Schamber's method using two lengths of wood. You can see her 2 part video here..scroll down and it's the 23rd and 24th videos from the top. Sally mentioned it a while back on her blog and I had bookmarked it for future reference. I have to say I'm really impressed and will definitely use this method again...it sure was easier than crawling around on the floor!

8 comments:

gwen said...

I had seen the video as well and I am happy to hear from you that it works. I will have to try it.
Thank-you for sharing pictures of your workshop. It is a clever idea and the results are indeed very different from one another. Take care.

Katie said...

Thank you for the best wishes for my dad. He's originally from Montreal too!

LOL I can relate to wanting to baste something. When The Tramp was living in Ottawa I went to visit him during the American Thanksgiving holiday and just had to have a turkey dinner that day!

andsewitis Holly said...

I'll have to try that basting method. I hate basting - even turkeys - hehe. I love your quilt. Handquilting is so soothing.

Sharon said...

ROFLOL!!! Good idea, maybe I'll baste a quilt on our Thanksgiving instead of a turkey too.

loulee1 said...

I'm basting too!
Nice looking quilt. :)

anne bebbington said...

I followed the link and watched the video - makes perfect sense actually and so much better than crucifying my housemaids knee on the floor

Kathy Wagner said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jane!
We did the whole turkey, gravy, stuffing, pumpkin pie thing here.
I would rather have been basting a quilt!!

Lynda said...

What a great idea for tacking a quilt (you're allowed to say 'basting' as you're foreign, but we Brits know the correct word to use!) Starching the back is also a good tip. One small criticism, is that, as ever, people demonstrate using little bits of fabric - I would have liked to see how she handled a king sized quilt - does she have an enormous table? :o)