Friday, May 11, 2007

Sneaky Peek...

I'm just putting the final stitches on the binding of the Trumpet Stars. In the end I decided was happy with the quilting around the patches (done with a walking foot) and as a result never did resolve why I struggled with the free machine quilting in the appliqué. I suspect I had a dull, regular needle and that I would have had better luck with a new quilting needle. Thanks to all of you that gave me good advice. I will keep all your great tips in mind when I go to do my free machine work on my next project.

Today I was back at the machine working on some invisible machine appliqué using YLI invisible thread...it's like sewing with hair! I mentioned the first few blocks in an earlier post. The chicken was drawn in EQ6 and I love it so much I'm using it in two projects (see below)



I have also been experimenting with heat 'n bond lite and finishing the edges with a straight stitch in coordinating thread. I have no idea what will happen when I wash the finished quilt, whether the edges will stay put, but then I'm hoping to incorporate some quilting to hold it together too. I love the colours in these blocks..very fresh and very now.

9 comments:

Connie said...

They are all so pretty...love all the colors.

Patti said...

What cute little blocks done in such perfect colors. You are so very creative!

anne bebbington said...

That's a really nice chicken pattern - mmm might have to commit that one to memory for future adaptation

Leigh said...

Your blocks are gorgeous and the result from the invisible thread is fantastic. Well done.

Sarah Jayne said...

I love the chicken.... I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing completed.

Carole said...

What a cheerful quilt! I just love the colours! thanks for sharing! Happy mother's day!

YankeeQuilter said...

Great colors on these blocks! I had to give up on the invisiable thread...Within a few minutes I had invisiable stitching everywhere! Good luck!

Clare said...

I love the flowers in the pot. The colours are gorgeous.

Thimbleanna said...

Love your applique Jane! EQ sure has come a long way -- I have one of the first versions (EQ1 or EQ2?) -- didn't know it would do applique patterns. That's pretty cool!