Friday, March 02, 2007

Trumpet Stars

I'm so excited about my latest project that I've started. Finally after weeks of finishing off a few things that were lingering from last year I get to start something new! I found a pattern called Trumpet Stars by Cherie Ralston in the April 2007 American Patchwork and Quilting magazine that is just beautiful. Of course, me being me, I will be making some modifications. I'm only going to make 4 blocks and I thought I'd jazz it up a bit by piecing the background squares in whites just to add a bit more interest. I got to play a bit with a new to me technique for piecing square in a square blocks which I saw on Simply Quilts. They have now created a video library of some of the shows. The one that I watched is called SIMPLER ROTARY CUTTING with Anita Grossman Solomon. A text version of the show is also available. I really liked this technique as it was very accurate and there was no guess work in lining up the side triangles because the method incorporates trimming those ears off. I will definitely use this method again! The second pieced background is all half-square triangles and I used the omnigrid 96L ruler to cut my triangles. Of all the techniques I've used to make 1/2 square triangles this by far was the most accurate. I haven't tried it for really small 1/2 square triangles...but it worked well for these 4" ones.

4 comments:

anne bebbington said...

Jane, that is a lovely applique block - might have to pinch it and use something similar on my faded applique quilt

YankeeQuilter said...

Those blocks will make striking backgrounds! Thanks for the info on the piecing techniques. I'm working with some beginner quilters and am always looking for new ideas.

Shelina said...

Jane, Anne had a link to your blog on her post, so here I am. This is certainly a lovely quilt, and I'm sure you will make it even more special with the changes.

Ms Make It Simpler said...

Dear Jane,

I'm so tickled that you tried and liked the Square on Point Technique. Did you "stay tuned" for the other segments because, the Super-Sized Nine Patch Quilt pattern is available as a PDF for download at Quiltmaker Magazine's site:

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt230/

Anita
http://www.MakeItSimpler.com