Saturday, March 03, 2007

Coffee Time

Before Christmas I signed up with my LQS to make a quilt as part of their challenge for 2007. I have to make a small quilt using 2 pieces of fabric that they provided. I managed to find some lovely fabric to cordinate...well almost. The fabric I found is all based around beigy backgrounds and the challenge fabric had very bright white backgrounds. I say "had" because this morning after being inspired by A Simple Girl I went to my kitchen and coffee dyed them. I did do a little research on the net and found out that coffee is slightly kinder to fabric than tea and will also give a more "aged" look rather than a orange pekoe dirty look. I also dipped the fabric in a bath of vinegar and water and heat set it, so hopefully it will be reasonably permanent. I'm guessing that as long as I use a non-bio soap to wash the quilt it shouldn't wash out. I know our modern bio soaps are designed to remove stains and for once this is a stain I want to stay. Has anyone else out there played with the permanency of coffee and tea? I could have used a tan procion dye, but I wanted a quick fix.


7 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I've used both coffee and tea to "age" fabric. As long as you have heat set it and don't use strong detergents I haven't had any problem with fading. Different tea types will dye slightly different colors - everything from peach to true brown. My old guild had everyone bring some tea, we brewed it up and then dipped some off-white muslin in each as a test. We did some coffees too but found less variation.

Leigh said...

I also find parisian essence is good for dyeing. I just mix it in warm water. Try a test piece first though. :)

Faith said...

what a great idea dying with coffee. I had used procion dyes before and loads of things from Dylon but never coffee or tea and i will give it a go one day. Didnt you get coffee or tea smells in the fabric even after rinsing and fixing?

anne bebbington said...

I love that butterfly fabric Jane both before and after dyeing. I've never used tea or coffee myself but I did use turmeric to dye some white nylon lace to go on a friends cream coloured wedding dress as tea was too pink and coffee too brown

KCQuilter said...

Just discovered your blog--and will visit often! Loved your before-and-after pix. I love to use coffee for aging fabric too.

joyce said...

I've never dyed with coffee except accidentally on a white shirt. THat certainly didn't come out!

gwen said...

I just discovered your blog and find it very intersting. Your new project with the appliqué flowers look lovely. I am looking forward to seeing the first blocks. I have also used tea to age fabric and it worked very well. The only drawback is that the quilt marking with the blue felt pen didn´t come off, so be careful!