Monday, February 26, 2007

Yeah I did it!!!

Today I conquered by far one of the hardest blocks I've ever made...and I'm really pleased with the results...and it's straight and is exactly 12 1/2" (unfinished size)! Years and years ago...way before the Internet, I participated in an exchange with some ladies in the USA. Believe it or not we communicated over the phone and through letters and ...well, it didn't really work! The idea behind the exchange was that you sent a pattern to the other participants and then they made that block for you. In exchange you receive patterns from everybody else and you made their blocks for them. It was a nice idea, but as there were about 12 of us spanning across the States, Canada and the UK it was very difficult to chase people who were behind in making their blocks. It was also costly in that you were either writing letters or phoning people. So why am I telling you this? Well, one lady sent me a pattern for this block and back then when I made it I did not have today's success. The bias edges stretched, nothing matched and the centre would have made a lovely patchwork bra! I ended up making a different block for this lady (she sent me an easier one to do), but I have always been haunted by this block. I'm so thrilled I got it to work after all these years...I feel confident that I can conquer just about any patchwork...curves, set-in seams or both. :)

3 comments:

anne bebbington said...

Superb - that's the only word I can use to describe it!

Shelina said...

That is a beautiful block, and you certainly have conquered both successfuly! I have had some practice with curves and with set in seams but never in the same block. That scares me.

Penny said...

That is a stunning block, but it does look really difficult. did you machine or hand-piece it?