Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Secret Fabric Source...

What do you think of this lovely selection of homespuns? Want to know a secret...I got them from my local charity shop..."what?" I can hear you saying, "the Rugby charity shops sell fabric?" Well, no...but they do sell 100% cotton shirts! I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner, and by my children's reaction they are probably glad I didn't, but I was able to find nice large men's shirts which probably have a good metre of fabric and in each for much less than what I'd pay at the local quilt shop...and they come with complimentary buttons! The cheapest one was £1.68 and the most expensive was £3.00. I found others for more, but my Scottish blood made me put them back :)

2 comments:

anne bebbington said...

Gosh you did well - we must have a more expensive selection of charity shops here in Taunton - I never seem to be able to find any man's shirt under £3.75 Fiona on Quilts and Pieces over in Leicester is another charity shop shirt hunter. I was in the queue in Asda the other day and the man in front of me in the queue had the most gorgeous striped shirt on - it was all I could do to stop myself from giving him my phone number to contact me once he'd got bored with it! Pyjamas also make good buys as you get the added bonus of the legs too :o) Mind you I don't see many people wearing those in Asda

YankeeQuilter said...

There is another advantage to the charity shop shirts - the fabric doesn't bleed or shrink like the homespun plaids you buy in the fabric shops tend to do!

I did once ask a man I worked with if he would let me have one of his shirts when he was done with it...it was perfect for a quilt I had planned! As part of my "good-bye" party he gave me the shirt off his back!